User introduction Hi Confused imminent NAS buyer suffering from DDTRH (disappearing down the rabbit hole) :)

Currently reading
User introduction Hi Confused imminent NAS buyer suffering from DDTRH (disappearing down the rabbit hole) :)

As above, Photographer in a world of pain - spent the last week trawling the web in search of a robust "future ish" storage solution for my home office and family needs.
Pretty sure that I'm leaning very much towards Synology (as Mac user) - though am slightly disappointed by their limited hardware vs cost vs competition.

Cheers Philip

Welcome to the forum! Ask and present your needs. We are sure there will be someone able to assist in your next purchase.
Where's the best to ask newby questions - I've done a fair bit of research - but am at an impas now..

You need describe more than your feelings. No one knows from such first contact info, what are your real needs or expectations. Then we can discuss about possible steps, finally then you can compare not just cost, but also more reliable = usefulness for you. Not for some from an e-shop.

Just imagine similar entry from different segment:
I need new camera for make a photos. Pretty sure that I'm leaning very much towards Sony, though am slightly disappointed by their limited hardware vs cost vs competition.

For a first exercise you can start here:

You need describe more than your feelings. No one knows from such first contact info, what are your real needs or expectations. Then we can discuss about possible steps, finally then you can compare not just cost, but also more reliable = usefulness for you. Not for some from an e-shop.

Just imagine similar entry from different segment:
I need new camera for make a photos. Pretty sure that I'm leaning very much towards Sony, though am slightly disappointed by their limited hardware vs cost vs competition.

For a first exercise you can start here:
Yes - understand that - and will write a more detailed question - but was just introducing myself - questions to follow. Thanks for the link..

What are your short/long term storage needs? (Think 3-5 years)
What do you intend to use the NAS for?
What is your budget?

A good place to start....
Something that doesn't f..k up like my Drobo (piece of sh...t) for starters - though that's a back-up plan failure on my behalf - mea culpa.

I've had a run of bad luck with my home Mac effectively dying on me (graphics card) then my new Apple M1 laptop isn't supported by Lacie's raid software yet - so my T3 raid will only work as JBOD.

So long story short - hoping for a system that allows for growth - (SHR - SHR2?) initial spend up to £1200 maybe a bit more.

Was looking at DS1520+ initially populated with 3 drives probably 6 or 8tb enterprise class. I like Synology for the software and the ability "build" the storage. But am disappointed that one has to spend more than £900 to get quicker than gigabit through put without have to mess around with link aggregation etc.

Cheers Phil

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.