Currently reading
DS file Hide Folder (top level)

NAS
DS220+, DS118
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all. I have a number of Shared Folders on my DS220+, alongside folders for the Plex server and Photos app.

I want to have the Shared Folders visible in the DS File app, but hide the folders that contain the Plex and Photos files.

There are options on the NAS that allow you to hide folders in Windows shares, but I can’t find a way to hide them in the DS File app.

Any ideas how this can be achieved?

I want to have the Shared Folders visible in the DS File app, but hide the folders that contain the Plex and Photos files.

I don't believe it is possible to hide shared folders.

As a compromise, using SSH you can create folders on /volumeX that will not appear in File Station (or DS File). Whether these are usable for Plex/Photos, Plex can see the folder (I don't use Photos, so I can't say, but I doubt it can "see" what DS Files cannot "see").

For example...

Code:
sudo mkdir /volume1/TEST1
sudo chmod -R ugo+rw TEST1

Logging into File Station with an administrator account, TEST1 is not "seen".

Opening Plex to add TEST1 folder to library works...
97CWxXY.png

Maybe test that.

That all said, if you are trying to keep these files to yourself, the homes service should give you privacy from other users.

I think Synology Drive Admin Console in packages allows you to turn visibility on or off.

I think Synology Drive Admin Console in packages allows you to turn visibility on or off.
For shared folders that have not been selected as Drive's Team Folders, you can't see then in Drive's clients and web portal. But the question was related to File Station and DS file.

In dsm, go to files app, go to the shared folder and expand the folder tree. Right click on plex , go to properties, and then change the permissions to that folder. Users not allowed should now be able to see the shared folder and not the subfolder.

Select make inherit permissions explicit

Thanks all for the responses.

I don't want prevent access to these these folders from any user, and users require permission to access these folders legitimately, eg access to the 'photo' folder is needed to allow users to upload via the Photos App. As such changing permissions isn't really a solution.

It's a case of trying to hide was are essentially 'program' folders, and prevent these being viewable and accidentally modifiable in DS Files (and other places, such as iOS shares).

Seems this may not be possible though.

Last edited:
It's a case of trying to hide was are essentially 'program' folders,

Customize the permissions and take away viewing permissions, but leave everything else

On the folder you want hidden, exclude inherited permission. For the user you want to hide the root folder from, remove list folders. Then you have to go into the sub folders or files that you want them to access, exclude inherited permission (in which the inherited root excludes traversing the folder) and apply full permission to the sub folder.

Attachments

• 70B83206-D63C-465B-910C-90966F9DDCDC.jpeg
    70B83206-D63C-465B-910C-90966F9DDCDC.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 307
Customize the permissions and take away viewing permissions, but leave everything else

Hey Gerard, I find because all user accounts are also admins that the custom options you have there are not available to me.

On the 'Advanced Permissions' screen it is possible to 'Disable Directory Browsing', which does prevent all users (including users who are admins) from viewing these folders. However it also prevents these folders being viewed/accessed using File Station or other DSM apps.

The NAS is used in a home environment. While there is probably no need to have all users as admins, it has made it simpler in the past when troubleshooting for individual users.

This is the first occasion having all admin accounts has caused an issue/prevented an option, but now it has occurred it may be time for me to go through and set up a proper user group.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back