Question Hide the port of a file upload request?

Currently reading
Question Hide the port of a file upload request?

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS920+ : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
Hi,

Is it possible to use the reverse proxy service to hide the port of an upload request?

Let’s say that I have this link for an upload request:

I want to map it to:

I’ve tried configuring it like we usually configure RP, but it doesn’t like the sharing part in the destination.

LE is configured with wildcard support and working.

Hi,

Is it possible to use the reverse proxy service to hide the port of an upload request?

Let’s say that I have this link for an upload request:

I want to map it to:

I’ve tried configuring it like we usually configure RP, but it doesn’t like the sharing part in the destination.

LE is configured with wildcard support and working.
Just create the link and rhen manually change it to your RP url. It works fine

Thanks. Unfortunately, I’m still not clear on how to do it.

So if I have this:

What should I have in the destination (or the source) section? How to tell RP that this is an upload request (DSM should present the upload request page)?

E9A5ABD8-6FBB-46DA-9DAC-F78F56ABAAE8.jpeg

A guess as I don't use the upload feature and it may need something smarter...

The destination (assuming it's your NAS) would be:
  • HTTPS
  • localhost
  • 5001 (your DSM HTTPS port)
Your LE certificate, if it is the default, will be assigned to upload.xzy.synology.me

For Drive there is an admin option to set the domain for file sharing, and DSM has something similar which [I think[ is used for the older packages and as a default.

Last edited:
I think you may be stuck with whatever you put in Control Panel / External Access -> Advanced.

I guess the '/sharing' element directs DSM's built-in web server and proxy to direct these web requests to file upload scripts. It looks to be an application portal that isn't in Application Portal: so anything for the host name and port, as long as it gets to the NAS and isn't otherwise reverse proxied, and includes '/sharing' will get processed as a file upload request.

Edit:

Put in HTTPS 443 in this Advanced tab.

I get a file upload link without :443 and it works to get to the upload request page. Normally :443 would get to web station. That would seem to confirm '/sharing' is an application portal-like feature.

Thanks @fredbert

Yes I know about that. I believe this is exactly what I’ve asked for in my thread title :)
What I’m actually after is to get rid of the whole sharing thing and just present a clean URL by mapping the randomly generated request.

Sorry for the confusion but I was even confused about phrasing my question :)

Thanks for trying. I guess it can’t be done. Maybe in DSM 7.5.3-37654. I’ll wait!

Hmm, well this replaces the port number, which what you aid in the subject, but how do you propose to provide a URL that is unique to the recipient whilst removing any uniqueness in the URL?

I suppose I don't understand the reason to make the URL so pretty; I can see why removing the 5001 port would be useful, as using 443 will pretty much guarantee access from anywhere.

I don't think you'll avoid having to add /sharing/<unique_bit> even if you setup a subdomain for upload.xyz.synology.me. That /sharing is added by File Station.

well this replaces the port number, which what you aid in the subject
Guilty as charged :)

but how do you propose to provide a URL that is unique to the recipient whilst removing any uniqueness in the URL?
I only need one :)

I suppose I don't understand the reason to make the URL so pretty
I’m being picky and silly I guess 😐

I don't think you'll avoid having to add /sharing/<unique_bit> even if you setup a subdomain for upload.xyz.synology.me. That /sharing is added by File Station.
This is the conclusion. Thank you for trying :)

I only need one :)
Web Staton virtual host with an index.html that either...
  • redirects in 0 seconds to the real page, or
  • embeds the real page in a frame (though this can be frowned up as it could be masquerading one site for another ... you're not in this case).
If you do the latter then use the same main domain and certificate.

The real page shouldn't have a time out and, well you know etc.

Hmm...
Thanks. Still I think this is not what I’m after :)

The upload request when accessed should show something like the below. How to use RP to hide the port in the file request (https://xyz.synology.me:5001/sharing/Zha1UhRtN) and replace it with a simple https://upload.xyz.synology.me?
While still presenting the request page:

View attachment 1760
I completly forgot about this topic since the weekend.

So I used it as I wrote it, no RP needed but you will need to continue to use /sharing/xzxxzxzx. So the idea is to generate the URL using the FileStation and then simply change your xyz.synology.me:5001 with your domain:https://xyz.synology.me/sharing/Zha1UhRtN.

Guessing the idea here is to simply remove the port but not the /sharing part. If you want to lose that as well you could use YOURLS and your custom upload.xyz.domain to create custom links.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.