high capacity HDD low noise

Currently reading
high capacity HDD low noise

NAS
Synology DS420+ DS 416 play
Operating system
  1. macOS
Using DS416play and DS420+.

my 8TO NAS (synology HAT, seagate NAS both 7200) are noise OK.
Beyond , from 14to 18 TB, I have read various comments on HDD which are either limited or with contradictions.
It seems I need to avoid Exos or WD entreprise, cheap but noisy. WD Red and Red plus , max 14TB seems low noise (?).
But what else? I use those in a domestic environment?
Has anyone experienced those high capacity HDD?

Primary purpose of the NAS isn’t supply of silence. There isn’t split of HDD to silent or loud categories. It depends on many factors (workload, idle) or cheap non soundproof NAS case. But soundproof is in contradiction with cooling.
Finally you can purchase any HDD, it will make noise. The NAS isn’t a cabinet to sleeping room.

I understand. I am satisfied with my NAS's using 4x8TB drives.
looking at various High capacity noise reviews it seems there are big differences.
Buying 2x14 TB drives for replacement I am looking for the best compromise cost/noise. Domestic environment.
I use it mostly for backup.
From my readings it seems that WD RED, plus, pro(?) seems to be the winner (??)

Last edited:
I am looking for the best compromise cost/noise.
&&
I use it mostly for backup
the simple answer is - take the first pretty disk drive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
More extensive answer:
looking at various High capacity noise reviews it seems there are big differences.
The internet is full of guaranteed reviews from guaranteed experts (like Nascompares, ...). Especially in terms of technology and design features of any storage media.
Especially those who compare the values of sound power level vs sound pressure level. Often without scientific research or without a resource reference. OFC Include a referral click "buy at Amazon", which is more important, than the story.

Different approach
This is the most smarter explanation of those two different values, frequently compared by newbies:
Sound power is the total airborne sound energy radiated by a sound source per unit of time. Sound pressure, on the other hand, is the result of sound sources radiating sound energy that is transferred into a specific acoustical environment and measured at a specific location. Sound power is the cause, and sound pressure is the effect.
More is here:

Vendors:
Seagate is more clear in this part of science than WD. Every Seagate drive has an easily available drive product manual. To be sure, this is not the same as product white paper. It is a more extensive reading.

For example:
IronWolf SATA PN: ST8000VN0022, what is 8TB SATA HDD contains 6 platters + 12 heads it has the Acoustic sound power level 2.7bels, 2.8 bells max (idle) 2.8-2.9 bells (performance seek)
vs.
Exos X16 SATA (enterprise)PN: ST16000NM001G, what is 16TB SATA HDD contains 9 platters + 18 heads it has the Acoustic sound power level 2.8bels, 3.0 bells max (idle) and 3.2-3.4 bells (performance seek)

Conclusion
For the idle:
2x HDDs x2dB(diff) = +4dB for the enterprise Exos X16 vs IronWolf...... you will not be able to recognize the difference in a common home environment

For the max. performance seek:
2x HDDs x5dB(diff) = +10dB for the enterprise Exos X16 vs IronWolf...... you will be able to recognize the difference in a common home environment, but it will not destroy your comfort.

The most important question is, how much of the MAX PERFORMANCE SEEKING time (HDDs) you will seat 1m from the NAS, w/o any other sound like music from speakers, even music from headphones, ...

... unfortunately, this is just a myth that is constantly discovering on the internet. I'm just sitting next to a my home rack in which I run Seagate enterprise 13HDDs. I don't play music. And it doesn't bother me at all.

Sources:

So if you're going to talk to someone about HDD sound noise, it's a good idea to find out which specific PN you're talking about and whether it's Sound power or Sound pressure, idle or max performance seeking.

Cheers.
-- post merged: --

Toshiba is another data bending company, look for their datasheet for 16TB MG08ACA:

just single value - idle

thank you , very interesting. I use the Seagate ST8000VN0002, which must be close to the ST8000VN0022.
Very satisfied with noise level.
My concern is what noise (sound pressure/ power?) difference with the IronWolf 14 or 16 TB, and what about the pro ones.
Manufacturer spec is one thing reviews are another one.
For example high capacity Exos is OK on spec but reviews clearly says "very noisy".
NAScompare provides some of those and it mentions (tests) that WD Red, Red plus (14TB?) least noisy, and even Red Purple even better.
I might also get some dampening device.
All that very confusing, at the end I have to make a choice.

NAScompare provides some of those and it mentions (tests) that WD Red, Red plus (14TB?) least noisy, and even Red Purple even better.
NAScompares reviews…. Clickbait articles or YT videos driven trap.

Re 14 or 16TB capacity:
1. There is not single IronWolf PN with such capacity, just IronWolf Pro. They stopped production of the 14TB for the IronWolf series. Reason = helium.
2. This capacity needs more platters in the same box volume = needs helium filled environment. What is first main difference between IronWolf and IronWolf Pro series.
3. HDD basic principles: More capacity for storage = more platters = more noise. More platters = more performance for the spindle motor = more noise.
There isn’t less noise HDD for such capacity. There is just diff model of the HDD operation (chosen filesystem, workloads, …).
4. More workloads need more airflow for a cooling to keep the HDDs under 50C in peaks and best average temp under 35C. Then you need more noise from the NAS fans. Otherwise a lifespan of the HDDs will be shortened.
5. More workloads needs more NAS CPU power = more temperature emitted from the passive NAS CPU cooler = needs more airflow = produces more NAS fan noise.
6. CPU temperature is influenced by temperature emitted from the HDDs and similarly, the opposite is true.
7. As was written you need find an exact PNs, then you need to compare the Sound power related values. Not just vendor series name (IronWolf, …). Guidelines provided.
Nothing is for free and HDD noise is normal than snow is cold. When you will understand this fact, you will find more crucial HDD parameters than the noise.

I have already read such complaint that the NAS user could not sleep well, because he bought a NAS and put it in the bedroom. People are crazy and irresponsible. Masses just want their rights. Responsibility for decisions is an unknown concept. And that's why this world looks like that.

Last edited:
thank you.
To your knowledge considering 16 or 18 TB which one (P/N) is the best compromise (IronWolf Pro or?) with my 4 by DS420+ and 416 Play. Each one has a different way of management data, so that for some frequent read/write, for others less...I will replace only 2 HDD for the moment in each NAS.
For what I read on the 14TB WD red Pro or Iron wolf seems the best choice (P/N?)
I have a DS414 with 4X4TB drives, I might use those 8TB drive made useable to fill it. It seems anyway limited to 15TB management.
Thank you again for the help.
I forgot to mention I run the NAS only few hours everyday (3/4) (besides its own management) but I need large capacity.

I'm using just pure Seagate enterprise HDDs. Older is 12y old - Seagate Constellation CS ... w/o any troubles.
There is also known, that Exos prices are the same or +few % expensive than IronWolf Pro. No doubt.
Now I have in operation 35 HDDs, each just enterprise level., in two NAS system platforms Synology & TrueNAS.

I don't use WD. There is just one exception to the future - HSGT Ultrastar (Hitachi), which is currently known as WD HC series.

Still, it's up to you. You can purchase any.

Are you sure, that when you lose one 16TB disk from the RAID, your NAS will spend a few days with the RAID rebuild?

Last edited:
Obviously when rebuilding NAS, I will move from 24 TB to 32 TB (2X8 TB HDD replaced with 2X16TB). But I don't have much choice, my NAS are already 18TB full vs 21TB (net). What else?

As I y told you I am a soho user in a domestic environment using few hours a day the NAS.
I mention the Seagate 8TB works fine, noise included.
From the above it seems I will go with IronWolf 14 or 16 TB (pro or not)
I wonder how HSGT vs IronWolf Pro for my use.
Even more the 18 TB are used is only one file, hard to split.

Meaning extracting an 18TB drive from a WD 18TB Element desktop would make it?Is the interface 6GB SATA?
How do you recognize EMFZ, EFDZ code when you buy it? Is it on the Element desktop P/N?
Jumping from a window?? I thought all are in closed enclosure

Last edited:
I'm using just pure Seagate enterprise HDDs. Older is 12y old - Seagate Constellation CS ... w/o any troubles.
There is also known, that Exos prices are the same or +few % expensive than IronWolf Pro. No doubt.
Now I have in operation 35 HDDs, each just enterprise level., in two NAS system platforms Synology & TrueNAS.

I don't use WD. There is just one exception to the future - HSGT Ultrastar (Hitachi), which is currently known as WD HC series.

Still, it's up to you. You can purchase any.

Are you sure, that when you lose one 16TB disk from the RAID, your NAS will spend a few days with the RAID rebuild?
to your knowledge replacing 2x8tb by 2x16 tb will take how long ( I understand I have to do it one by one) for 18TB load existing?

Another solution splitting my big 18TB files within the DS420+ and DS 416 play and purchasing WD Elements desktop 20TB for each NAS (using usb copy for back up) would take as long for backup?
-benefit of second: noise not an issue and might be cheaper solution -inconvenient I have to select which NAS to address when necessary
-benefit of first: selecting NAS not an issue -inconvenient (rebuilding time ?) noise level?

Again thanks for your advices

Please, try to exactly describe your idea:
- current setup - NAS model, disks, redundancy (RAID)
- plan (what you would like to migrate and where) - NAS model, disks, redundancy (RAID)
- expectations - what you would like to get when finished - NAS model, disks, redundancy (RAID)

I don't like shooting into the dark.

-Main concern: existing NAS capacity not sufficient. Needs major increase

-DS420+ and DS416 play both with 4x8TB? 21 TB net capacity each, 18TB load in one file. SHR type RAID (synology), bfrts. DS416play used as a backup of the 420+ with snapshot/replication from Synology.
-1st solution. Replacing 2 8TB in each NAS, by 2 16TB (ironwolfpro, I think, still undecided vs WDRed pro (?)) therefore 29 TB net capacity (building time??)
- 2nd solution splitting the big 18TB file in 2. Each NAS will take one part of the file, purchasing 2 WD external 20TB drives. Each NAS will back up on its WD using USB copy from Synology. Again backing up time (8/9 TB each with USB3.0)
--1st solution global file management doesn't not change, issue noise with those 2 16TB Pro HDD replacing 2 8TB
--2nd solution : selecting the right NAS to be used each time, cheaper(?), noise should not be a problem in this case

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.