Currently reading
Question Hikvision camera suddenly disconnected

NAS
Synology DS214Play
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a Hikvision DS-2DE3304 camera. It has been working faultlessly with Surveillance Station for 2-3 years.

I went to look at some historical footage and found that recording stopped on 25th March. When I went to check the live view the camera was showing disconnected, even though no settings had changed and nothing has changed on my home network.

1. Surveillance Station package updated to 8.2.7-6222.
2. Surveillance Station Mac app updated to 1.2.8-0981.
3. Camera firmware updated from Hikvision to v5.6.0 build 190128 (latest from Hikvision).

I can log into the camera via it's web interface with a browser and access settings. I can access the camera from the Hikvision iVMS-4200 app, I can access settings and see the live video feed from the camera.

Yet, Surveillance Station shows the camera as disconnected and Test Connection fails, where it has been working faultlessly for at least 2-3 years.

I should also add that I have just tried deleting and re-adding the camera into Surveillance Station and still no connection. I have a second IP camera which is working fine and showing a live feed in Surveillance Station.

Can anyone please throw any light on why this would be and what I can do to fix?

Many thanks in advance.

No, it's a D Link on a wireless connection, the Hikvision is on a wired link via a POE adapter.

Not tried SSH as I can access the camera via the web interface and the Hikvision app can see it, network and camera good?

Not tried SSH as I can access the camera via the web interface and the Hikvision app can see it, network and camera good?
Yes. But can your DS see it? I would try to ping it from the DS to check. It‘s an easy step just to make sure “the path” is clear from the DS to the camera. We can try more drastic measures next.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean? Can my DS see what? How do I ping from DS?

Do you mean see if the DS can see the Synology NAS?

You said in your reply "It‘s an easy step just to make sure “the path” is clear from the DS to the camera" - but the DS is the camera?

Sorry for the confusion!

Ahh I see sorry, it's just the camera model number is DS-xxx!

Ok, I see what you mean now, I'll try this and report back.

Ok, from the DiskStation I can access via SSH and ping'd both cameras.

The D-Link is good, the Hikvision is coming back as "Destination Host Unreachable"

So your NAS cannot “see” the camera. You’re trying to add a camera that cannot be reached.

Anything changed on the network?
Do you have multiple subnets or are they all on the same subnet (is the WiFi d-link on the same subnet)?
Are you using any managed switches?
VLANs?
Do you have the firewall on the NAS enabled?

Think about the connection between the Mac (where you’ve successfully tested) and the camera, and the NAS and the camera, any difference in the way they’re connected?

Thank you for all your help.

I've answered your questions below...

So your NAS cannot “see” the camera. You’re trying to add a camera that cannot be reached. - The camera was added around 2-3 years ago, has been working fine but suddenly stopped working and now the DS can't see it.

Anything changed on the network? - Not that I've changed, or am aware of.
Do you have multiple subnets or are they all on the same subnet (is the WiFi d-link on the same subnet)? - All on the same subnet from a Netgear R7000.
Are you using any managed switches? - No.
VLANs? - No.
Do you have the firewall on the NAS enabled? - Yes.

Think about the connection between the Mac (where you’ve successfully tested) and the camera, and the NAS and the camera, any difference in the way they’re connected? - The Mac and D Link camera are on the wireless side of the R7000, the Hikvision and DS are on a wired connection. I'll try the same tests with the Mac on a wired connection.

Ok, getting somewhere now, can't access the camera with the web interface or ping it from my Mac with a wired connection.

So going to turn my attention to the Netgear router as this is where the wired / wireless interface is.

Yes, I think you're right, I'll try that before delving into the settings...

....or maybe a bit of "Percussion Maintenance".

Or
If you happen to have a spare switch, you can try that, just the Mac and the camera to see. Replacement, and redundancy is powerful too. It might give the bugger a wake up call to behave and start forwarding those frames as it should. No mercy.

Oh, @Telos has a spare switch lying around, but it’s possessed by the devil of Sonesta if you don‘t mind that.

ok, thank you so much for your help.

I've rebooted the router but am getting the same issue, my Mac and iPad (using Fing) can see the camera using a wireless connection (even though the camera is on a wired connection) but my Mac still cannot ping the camera, or access it's web interface from a wired connection.

ok, thank you so much for your help.
You’re welcome :)

I've rebooted the router but am getting the same issue, my Mac and iPad (using Fing) can see the camera using a wireless connection (even though the camera is on a wired connection) but my Mac still cannot ping the camera, or access it's web interface from a wired connection.
Can you try connecting the Mac to different ports on the switch (if you still have any free).
Also, make sure you have a valid IP address when testing with the Mac on the wired connection

Not familiar with Netgear, but on the settings, do you have a way to enable/disable ports?
Does it have any mac address filter that might be blocking things somehow?

Ok, so I have a 16 port Netgear switch (non managed) between the router and all my wired connections.

I've just moved the patch lead from the camera to another port and I can now ping it both from the DS and from my Mac (which is still on a wired connection).

However, the camera is still saying disconnected in Surveillance Station, but when I click the "Test Connection" button it now says the user name and / or password is wrong (it was saying check IP address etc before).

When I connect to the camera via the browser web interface, I can log in with the user name and password I have but Surveillance Station doesn't seem to recognise them as correct.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.