Ho to organize my backup strategy?

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi.

I'll get my DS920+ in few days. I already read as much as I could find about it.

In short. I want to use my NAS for:
  • Media (easy, doesn't need explanation).
  • GitLab (hosted using docker, doesn't need explanation).
  • Backup for stationary PC
  • Backup for Laptop

Now, I'm not sure if I should use build in Windows 10 backup feature with it's file version history. For stationary PC it would work as it will always have access to NAS. For Laptop not so much.

So I was thinking that maybe for Laptop I can use "local" drive for Windows 10 Backup feature and then sync that folder with NAS when I'm home. What would be the best way to do this automatic sync when NAS is available? Or is it even good approach?

I know that using Windows 10 Backup I'll lose the neat functionality of Hyper Backup as it will store already processed files from Windows. But again. I see not other way to do it.

In short.
What is the best option to have "live" file backup on windows with ocasional (once every day or two) backup to NAS?

Last edited:
So I was thinking that maybe for Laptop I can use "local" drive for Windows 10 Backup feature and then sync that folder with NAS when I'm home. What would be the best way to do this automatic sync when NAS is available? Or is it even good approach?

I know that using Windows 10 Backup I'll lose the neat functionality of Hyper Backup as it will store already processed files from Windows. But again. I see not other way to do it
Hyper Backup cannot do this. If your heart is set on Synology software, then Active Backup for Business is the package you seek. Personally I would keep things simple and use a Windows tool which lands the backup on the NAS. This could be Windows File History, Veeam, or Macrium Reflect Free.

Which ever path you go, perform a restore test. Don't wait until the restore is critical.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.