Home Servers.

Currently reading
Home Servers.

NAS
DS1515+, DX213.
Anyone else using other solutions for their home networking or back-up needs? Other than a Synology NAS, I mean.

I'm still using a Windows Home Server (version 1). Built using old PC parts that I had lying about.

WHS is a simplified version of Windows Server 2003, looking very familiar to XP users.

I have it on my home network, where it does daily back-ups of all my Windows machines. It has no WAN access. We only use Windows 7 machines ( I hate 10 and won't have it). I also have a couple of XP machines, for retro-gaming. The little WHS performs perfectly for the back-up roll that it's tasked with.

It creates, system images of your machines, which you can restore using a bootable cd.

In my opinion, it's one of the best things M$ ever came up with. They did a second version, in 2011. However, they removed the drive pool functionality and thus the very thing that helped make it so good, the dummies!

Atm no. Considering that I just moved to a house with lots of room I’ll see what my rack will accommodate in the end. Now it’s only network gear and synology gear. Don’t see a need for any specific servers with specific roles that I can’t sort of on the syno platform running on this hw. Also no time atm

Last edited:
@Tedster hi.
Home servers is the title.
And i used before a long time ago a win7 pc with raid 5 , i now prefer by far a NAS.
For me and as a home user i now use NAS for backups , seconds backups are external hdd and cloud.
I dont see the need to use daily backups because my main NAS (ds418) do a backup itself using SHR.
From time to time i done manual backups to other devices i said before, and some data to cloud.

My main clients are windows and android (i use daily).

If i had much more data and other needs i would still use a NAS ☺, more NAS and more powerful.

I like the project of retro gaming :) .
A friend of mine as also a retro gaming machine, arcade machine but with other OS, and device (original xbox), it is very cool, he did everything.
A long time i also had a original xbox but my first "PC" was a spectrum 48k, still have in my home :)

I tested oracle vm and now i installed again in a w10 machine.
Not in my ds418, not powerful enough.
We can have a idea of other OS but it is not the same.

For me it is a great tool and if i like i can install the OS for real

All the Syno NAS, see here
Thank you. I will see that .
Synology NAS do many things ☺.
I saw a youtube video and i think VM was running in the NAS itself.

I will that lun (for me it is a new thing) .
If it works even i have to install and run in the PC (for better performance etc) it is cool.

It is one less app i have to install (in windows) ☺

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back