Host your own Internet Speedtest with LibreSpeed on Synology

Currently reading
Host your own Internet Speedtest with LibreSpeed on Synology

Tired of using 3rd party speed test websites that are riddled with ads and pop-ups? Looking for a solution you can self host on your own NAS or server?

librespeed-logo-nashosted-1024x348.png

Librespeed is a very lightweight Speedtest implemented in Javascript, using XMLHttpRequest and Web Workers.

No Flash, No Java, No Websocket, No Bullshit.

Continue reading...

If you're using a SRM-based router and have applied Traffic Control limits for you NAS, like I have, then you may want to lift these controls to get a realistic speed result.

I'm on a very low 6Mbps outbound and use C2 Backup, so to stop this from eating all my bandwidth and leaving a little for web requests and DNS resolution I've limited the NAS to 5Mbps out.

Otherwise very interesting and wish I could get a better outbound speed.

This is interesting but it only gives me the "speeds" between my LAN devices and the NAS itself. But not what the NAS sees coming and going from the WAN, or what my devices are pulling from the web.

good point
winner of my research from the 2018 was iperf container, based on CLI from any computer and many custom features, that can help you understand better your current speed condition, e.g.:
- number of packets to transmit
- custom file to transmit
- socket buffer size
- debug output
- JSON output format from the test.
All the useful features you can find in official documentation from iperf

But from year ago I have stopped this container when I moved all networks appliances to Unifi and FTTx.
But still in a stand by, when needed.

to be sure:
- there isn’t ISP who will use our own test results for a complaining of the internet speed, except when you have guaranteed conditions.
- there is jus one and only accurate approach- a loop between your router and your ISP gateway. Otherwise you will measure a mess with each next network hops.
- then, ask your ISP for iperf server address (some of them)
- there isn’t reason to use speed test when you don’t feel a symptoms, otherwise with needles traffic generated from the speed tests we just create network (internet) congestion.

As @fredbert said, I'm in a similar situation. For the same reason, I have started measuring speed tests every 6h to keep a track of my overall daily speeds and historical info in Grafana. Another reason was that I wanted to catch real data from my household so that I can prove to my ISP if there were certain subpar speeds periods that they usually said don't exist. Since then the situation has improved but I still have the same procedure running as well.

Measuring speed with and without VPN active.

Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 07.55.51.png

winner of my research from the 2018 was iperf container, based on CLI ... But from year ago I have stopped this container .... But still in a stand by, when needed.
I have this exact setup to. I run iPerf server in Docker when I want to check speeds between LAN/WiFi devices and the NAS.

This is interesting but it only gives me the "speeds" between my LAN devices and the NAS itself. But not what the NAS sees coming and going from the WAN, or what my devices are pulling from the web.
I think this is a web tool that permits the testing to Internet nodes, not a web client to NAS test.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.