Hosting website on NAS

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,

I developped a dash/plotly/python on my PC. I also duplicated this app on my mac-mini server and so I can access the app on my local network (it works fine on either my PC or the mac-mini). I would like now to deploy this app on my DS920+ and have this app available from outside my local network. I don't intend to scale it for more than 5 users. The website currently relies on Flask (but I am considering switching to Django if that helps) and the dahsboard is rather dynamic: it plots graphs based on users's inputs. From what I read there are multiple options but I can't figure out the "right" way to proceed (I haven't found a tutorial to take me by the hand...):

I could try to make a docker image of my app but then how do I "publish/deploy" the image outside my local network?
I could look into deploying it on apache2 (which is available in the package center) but then I am missing a bit of directions on how to set it up. Apparently it would require mod_wsgi (?)
I could create a VM based on Ubuntu but then what should I use (and how) this VM to deploy my app?

As you can see this is a bit confusing to me and not very clear in my head... Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Well, you have several options here.

1st you could simply run an Apache container using the official image (Docker Hub) and then implement and deploy your app inside it. You can add any mod that you might need on top of it using the standard command lines.

This is a standard web deployment over an already running webserver. The reason why this might be a better solution than using apache that comes with DSM is that you will be sandboxed better, will not depend on DSM updates and limitations, and will be able to expand the instance with any solution (mod) that you want and need.

2nd, you could run a VM but imho this would be an overkill on the resources needed to make this happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.