How can I access the files from a crashed virtual machine?

Currently reading
How can I access the files from a crashed virtual machine?

Hi everyone.

I am running a ds 918+ which had a virtual machine also running dsm. After swapping around some hard drives the virtual machine seems to have crashed. I can't remember exactly what the error was, but it was something about a cluster crash. It gave me an option to repair the cluster which I tried, but it didn't work. Anyway - now when I open VMM nothing shows up at all. No error codes and no sign of any virtual machines. I want to access the files from that virtual machine as I see no reason why they would have been deleted. Is that possible? I know they aren't stored anywhere obvious in the GUI, but can I access them through SSH or by plugging in the hard drive into another Linux machine or something like that?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. My NAS was actually still running DSM 6.1. I'm going to try and load the drive into a Linux machine and see what happens.

EDIT: so I used SSH to access the NAS instead as I assume it would have the same outsome. I could see all the directories that are hidden from the GUI but I still cant find any hint of the files stored on the virtual machine. Any ideasA?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.