How can I clear out a massive amount of btrfs snapshots? I am running out of space fast, and don't know whats creating these.

Currently reading
How can I clear out a massive amount of btrfs snapshots? I am running out of space fast, and don't know whats creating these.

NAS
DS918+
Router
  1. RT1900ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have been noticing my volume useage climbing lately but I didnt think much of it until it started hitting around 80%. Now I know something is wrong.

My volume is 10.5TB, and Storage manager shows that my shared folders only occupy 2.8TB which sounds about right. However it's showing 4.7TB worth of snapshots. How can I clear this out? this is insane.

I tried running du -h -d 1on /Volume1 but for whatever reason it ignores all of the directories that start with "@" which is likely where the problem files are.

Running btrfs subvolume list -st /volume1/ seems to show that all of the snapshots are in the "@docker" directory. But I don't know how or why these were created, or how to get rid of them.

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have Snapshot Replication installed and have you enabled it for the Docker, and other, shared folders? If yes then check each shared folder's Snapshot settings, may be reduce the frequency and number of retained snapshots.

Edit...

And from the Snapshot page you can select each shared folder in turn and use the Snapshot button to Calculate Size.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

Do you have Snapshot Replication installed and have you enabled it for the Docker, and other, shared folders? If yes then check each shared folder's Snapshot settings, may be reduce the frequency and number of retained snapshots.

Edit...

And from the Snapshot page you can select each shared folder in turn and use the Snapshot button to Calculate Size.
No I don't, I've never used the Snapshot Replication package. That's why I'm confused about why almost half my NAS is filled with snapshots.

I did install it last night to see if it could help me remove the snapshots but it shows nothing as its never been enabled.

Upvote 0
Well that’s weird!
That's exactly what I said. I have no idea whats causing this, but I really need to figure it out.

I had to go into Drive server and reduce the number of versions from 32 to 5 just so I could free up enough space to stop the notifications. That only dropped me from 80% to 77%, and now I'm already back up-to 79%....

Upvote 0
Ok after 4 days of trying to figure this out I think I finally got it!

I ran the command:
btrfs filesystem reclaim-space -S /volume1 -r

It took a little while to run, and afterwards nothing looked different.

Running out of ideas I decided to try and reboot again, and after the reboot my Volume usage dropped from 80% to 35% which is right about where I would expect it to be!

My big question is how is this not already taken care of by DSM? I have read near 100 other posts all over the internet of people having the exact same issue as me All but one of them has gone completely unanswered, And thats the one I got the answer from.

Upvote 0
Hi -
I just had the very same problem that deletions would just not reflect in the UI and btrfs usage statistics while du would show much smaller usage.

Finally found the solution: under "Storage Manager" > "Global Settings" the "Space Reclamation Schedule" was set to a small time window (outside my current day/time).
Setting it as active for the current time/day would immediately reduce the used spage also shown in Storage Manager and UI to the acutal used space as shown by du.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.