How can you add 16GB RAM to 920+, when Intel site says "Max 8GB"?

Currently reading
How can you add 16GB RAM to 920+, when Intel site says "Max 8GB"?

I've had almost every configuration of ram in my old 1515+. 2,4,6,8,12 and now 16.

I have to say that 16 "feels" better! I've no documented proof but it just does.
what make etc is your 16gb mem` I too have a 1515+ (with 8GB)

I just got a 920+ and am curious how are people using 16GB RAM to increase it to 20GB total without causing issues?! Intel site clearly says it's MAX 8GB, in DUAL CHANNELS (4GB+4GB), wouldn't adding more RAM cause instability and other issues?!

I just have never heard of adding more RAM than a processor can handle would work, like in my old PC that took 16GB max RAM, I tried adding more and it crashed and wouldn't work stable.

If it somehow works, is the added RAM worth it than just going to 8GB? My usage is Plex (some 4K and HVEC), Backup, IP Cameras, Roon Core, and in the future possibly setup it as a mail server.
You seem to be one of the very few people who understand that the CPU chip has only so many address pins. Most users who say "it works" likely do not know what an address pin is.

If you install 16 GB and the CPU supports only 8 GB, then the CPU can only physically access the first 8 GB and the rest is at best wasted. One of the address pins is disconnected, and you HOPE the value on the floating/disconnected pin is constant, as the value of the pin determines which half of the memory is used.

Yes, the Linux kernel will use unused memory as a cache. But only the unused memory the CPU can access is used. As said, the rest is at best wasted.

I can say that going from 4Gb to 8 GB has a big impact on performance if you are running something like a server on the 920+.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.