NAS
DS1821, DS218j
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Had single drive storage pool in drive 8 on DS1821+
Deleted storage pool & physically ejected drive 8 but Storage manager/Drive Information still shows as present in the NAS.

How do I clear NAS of old drive data?
Please advise.

Cached data in swap and metadata contained by the OS is mirrored across all drives. But the file data on the removed volume is gone.
Thanks for the reply.
Emptied all recycle bins & drive still shows up as live in both Storage manager/HDD/SSD and Storage manager/Drive Information still shows as drive physically present in the NAS. Maybe NAS metadata would be a better word. (data about the drive)
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Cached data in swap and metadata contained by the OS is mirrored across all drives. But the file data on the removed volume is gone.
Had single drive (RAID 0) storage pool in drive 8 on DS1821+
Deleted storage pool & physically ejected drive 8 but Storage manager/Drive Information still shows as present in the NAS.

How do I clear NAS of old drive data?
Please advise.

Emptied all recycle bins & drive still shows up as live in both Storage manager/HDD/SSD and Storage manager/Drive Information still shows as drive physically present in the NAS. See attached screen shot.

Attachments

• Synology 8bay Screenshot 2022-03-24 160006.png
    Synology 8bay Screenshot 2022-03-24 160006.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
[Have you power cycled it yet?]
Yes. Vacant slot/drive still shows as not initialized.
Thanks for the reply.
H
Wild!

I would try shutting down the NAS completely, unplugging it, and booting back up.

If that doesn't work, I would try shutting down the NAS completely, unplugging it, unplug all the drives (no drives), and boot it back up and see what it does. Then shut it down once it boots up, put all the drives back in and try booting again. Caution though as I don't exactly know what happens when you remove all the drives like this and may leave your volume in an unusable state!

Upvote 0
Wild!

I would try shutting down the NAS completely, unplugging it, and booting back up.

If that doesn't work, I would try shutting down the NAS completely, unplugging it, unplug all the drives (no drives), and boot it back up and see what it does. Then shut it down once it boots up, put all the drives back in and try booting again. Caution though as I don't exactly know what happens when you remove all the drives like this and may leave your volume in an unusable state!
[I would try shutting down the NAS completely, unplugging it, and booting back up.]
Thank you for the reply ... Got operator error problem solved.
One of my grand-kids (7 & 3) pushed the drive back in slot again thus NAS correctly showed a SSD in the slot.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
[I would try shutting down the NAS completely, unplugging it, and booting back up.]
Thank you for the reply ... Got operator error problem solved.
One of my grand-kids (7 & 3) pushed the drive back in slot again thus NAS correctly showed a SSD in the slot.

Thanks.
LOL!! Glad you found the source of the problem. :LOL:

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.