How Do I Copy Files from A USB Drive to my NAS?

Currently reading
How Do I Copy Files from A USB Drive to my NAS?

NAS
DS1512+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have recently purchased an older but still good enough for me Synology DS1512+. I have wanted a NAS every since they pulled the plug on Windows Home Server. But I got bogged down between Synology and Qnap. As well as cost for what I felt that I need. So anyway here I am getting my feet wet with a Synology.

I have a USB drive plugged into the USB port on the DS1512+.I can see the drive and files in File Station, but I am unable to copy them to my NAS to save there and then be able to have the files on the NAS and format the USB drive. Seems pretty straight forward but I am missing something.

This is actually a computer backup from a previous backup that I don't want to loose, relatively large nearly 1 TB. Making a direct USB connection what seems to be my best route. Open to suggestions.

Thank You,
Ron

Welcome to the forum!

I can see the drive and files in File Station, but I am unable to copy them to my NAS
So the drive is detected but you are unable to copy from it. Any specific errors in the File Station interface?

How is the drive registered in the Control Panel > external?

Any images?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in my reply. But thank you for the help.

I went back and tried again to copy from my connected USB drive. This time it worked as expected. Not sure what was wrong previously. Maybe I did not wait long enough for the drive to be recognized by the NAS? Not but sure the drive did show in File Station. One thing that I have thought of, maybe I was trying to copy the entire drive from the list in FS (USB Sharedfolder)

Seems that I have figured it out, whatever the issue was.

There is defiantly a learning curve to the Synology system.

Thanks again,
Ron

Edit, spell check.

Upvote 0
Okay sorry ,so the hdd used for usb copy was removed synology and now I am pluging it into a hdd adapter and trying to connect to my windows 2022 server, to transfer the files. So when checking disk partition it says gpt protected mode. How to get data

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.