NAS
DS718+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Is there a way to remove access to a device from the rt2600ac router? Frontier just installed wire from the ONT to my router so I can get my provisioned speed. He needed to get on my wifi to use an app that reads data from an ethernet connected device that tests speeds. I want to make sure he can't access my router again. I could ban the mac address but then I'd have to look at it for all eternity. Is there a way to remove his wifi priveldges? Don't want to change my wifi password (too many devices).

A - Control Panel < Local Network < DHCP Clients, and then Delete. What does that actually do?

B - Control Panel < Traffic Control < General, and then remove settings. What does that actually do?

Why would he need your wifi? To detect provisioned speed he should use an ethernet connection (unless he is providing the wifi access point).

You could have given him guest access if necessary... too late now, huh?

Hooked something up via ethernet and then app on phone to show output/results. Yeah - should have stood my ground on guest network...he made case that he's had problems with guest before. Yep - too late.

It's good to periodically change passwords. Banning the MAC address won't work unless you whitelist MACs... He could simply have an alternate device (hopefully though, this is an unlikely event... but Frontier? Who knows).

I'm about to change SSID/password following a firmware upgrade (Just got through an email password change on all my devices, so I'm getting my head ready for the router update).

I guess you create a guest wifi with no pass, maybe.

Next time do this :
-use wifi with password (not easy one)
-or more secure add just wifi clients you need to your ssid with wifi mac adress, mac filter (this is for me the best one)

It's good to periodically change passwords. Banning the MAC address won't work unless you whitelist MACs... He could simply have an alternate device (hopefully though, this is an unlikely event... but Frontier? Who knows).

I'm about to change SSID/password following a firmware upgrade (Just got through an email password change on all my devices, so I'm getting my head ready for the router update).
I know, but so...many...devices. :) I'm might force an update to 1.2.3 for a couple of the enhancements I've been looking for. Maybe I just do it then.

Would still love to know what A and B (original post) actually do? I'm guessing A just removes their current license/reservation but since they have the password it just gets added again when they get close.

But i personal dont use mac filter ☺, i used before but with more and more devices with my network it is more easy to set a password and from to time take a look at who is logged in ☺ (home network)

I know, but so...many...devices. :) I'm might force an update to 1.2.3 for a couple of the enhancements I've been looking for. Maybe I just do it then.

Would still love to know what A and B (original post) actually do? I'm guessing A just removes their current license/reservation but since they have the password it just gets added again when they get close.
Yes ☺. With more and more devices its easier to choose a good password .

Yes ☺. With more and more devices its easier to choose a good password .
the good password is not enough, strong is better - more than 30 characters, include all special.
Then usage of Bitwarden is appreciated. You can find in this forum how.

Also open Guest WiFi network is tricky for "newbies", who can forget to isolate such "door to my environment".
For Guest just prepare independent WiFi network by same router.

Last:
when someone who isn't trusted and has your password, there is just one way how to break it - new password
Even for 100 devices connected to your WiFi, that you need update with the new password.

Then usage of Bitwarden is appreciated.
One nice thing about BW is the ease in which you can discover if the password you are using shows up on databases of compromised systems. Even if that database is unrelated to your systems, those passwords can be used in dictionary attacks.

I periodically check critical passwords I'm using for critical accounts and change any that BW can match to a compromised database. Yes, it's a pain... but the pain from not doing so can be far worse.

I have read many times - also in this forum, that people doesn’t want to invest few hours from their life to better security=comfort of their life. Then we can read thousands stories about “help me” I lost data that are worth for me.
Is it few hours of their life more than worth of their future comfort?
Or people from fundamental point of view are basically irresponsible? Irresponsible to their own life. It is frequent behavioral equation - people are so irrational.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.