How Do I Replace Dropbox?

Currently reading
How Do I Replace Dropbox?

NAS
Synology DS3617
What’s the latest/best way to use Synology to replace OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive?

I have a small company and want to provide 12 or so users with their own “accounts” like if we all used Google Drive and wanted to share files and folders occasionally.

We want to have access to our files both in the office with PCs, and at home and on the road with iPhones.

I also want no external access to DSM or anything that could let a hacker in to do any damage.

There seem to be so many apps, both Synology and third party, like NextCloud, that I don’t know where to start.

Hi @capite, let's recap your requirements:
  1. Replace public Cloud storage sharing services with a self-hosted alternative
  2. Provide access to the self-hosted service from
    1. internal office
    2. employee homes (non-work provided)
    3. public WiFi, other WiFi, and mobile data when not at locations 1 or 2.
  3. The self-hosted service equipment (DSM) must not be externally accessible (from the Internet)
    1. This therefore blocks access from anywhere but internal office locations
How do you propose to allow non-office access to this if it's not accessible externally?

I'd suggest a remote access solution, such as VPN Plus running on an SRM router which will isolate the DSM NAS from being directly accessible from the Internet. Then run Synology Drive and desktop and mobile clients pointing to the DSM NAS using URLs that are only LAN resolvable (or LAN IP).

This would force users to establish a secure VPN connection first and then access Synology Drive.

Last edited:
Its not that specific. The ‘or anything that would let a hacker...’ is a 2nd condition. I’m trying to think what this covers and can see it would be addressed by placing the NAS on its own protected subnet away from client devices and IOT: potentially a correctly configure DSN firewall would achieve this but a separate firewall would be a clearer solution.

For business there is a different risk profile than for home use and the value of data assets and impact of loss/breach to business needs to be considered.

It shouldn’t be that the reader needs to make assumptions because they may make the wrong ones. The requirement must be self-evidently clear. Did you ever wonder why government projects never run smooth? 😀

Its not that specific. The ‘or anything that would let a hacker...’ is a 2nd condition. I’m trying to think what this covers and can see it would be addressed by placing the NAS on its own protected subnet away from client devices and IOT:potentially a correctly configure DSN firewall would achieve this but a separate firewall would be a clearer solution.
Yes. You have a point.
I guess @capite should rethink his request and mitigate as much as he can and accept the risks.

Hi @capite, let's recap your requirements:
  1. Replace public Cloud storage sharing services with a self-hosted alternative
  2. Provide access to the self-hosted service from
    1. internal office
    2. employee homes (non-work provided)
    3. public WiFi, other WiFi, and mobile data when not at locations 1 or 2.
  3. The self-hosted service equipment (DSM) must not be externally accessible (from the Internet)
    1. This therefore blocks access from anywhere but internal office locations
How do you propose to allow non-office access to this if it's not accessible externally?

I'd suggest a remote access solution, such as VPN Plus running on an SRM router which will isolate the DSM NAS from being directly accessible from the Internet. Then run Synology Drive and desktop and mobile clients pointing to the DSM NAS using URLs that are only LAN resolvable (or LAN IP).

This would force users to establish a secure VPN connection first and then access Synology Drive.
plus
incl. 2FA
for some just web based connections, fir some desktop/App clients

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.