DSM 7.1 how do I troubleshoot hyper backup not working for scaleway?

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 how do I troubleshoot hyper backup not working for scaleway?

I have several s3 hyperbackup recurring tasks that work great including aws and gcp. scaleway was also working great but recently I was getting an error that the target was offline which did not resolve over time. I checked with scaleway and they had no downtime reported. Because this is a tertiary backup and it's not too large I decided to just delete it and recreate it. I deleted the bucket and keys on scaleway as well and created new versions. When I create the task in hyperbackup and input the endpoint , access and secret, hyper backup successfully retrieved the bucket name from scaleway and I select it. However when I click next in hyperbackup I get an error: "Insufficient privileges to access the destination shared folder. Please contact the destination administrator for assistance." I have recreated this problem on two different scaleway regions. I have also used a windows application (s3 backup) and I have no issues saving files to these scaleway buckets.

So I contacted scaleway and asked them for help. They asked me for what command this error is occuring from. That is where I am stuck because hyperbackup doesn't expose this level of detail to me. I don't see anything about hyperbackup in my system logs. I do have SSH access to Synology and I'm guessing this level of detailed log is available somewhere but my quick scan came up empty.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

several s3 hyperbackup
What option are you using inside Hyper Backup to connect to S3? Maybe I can try and replicate this to a different vendor just to see if the result is the same. If it is, maybe there are some issue with HB and S3 method, or it might be vendor specific?

Upvote 0
Nothing strange and like I said I have 3 other s3 backups just like this one but other companies (aws, gcp, storj) and they work fine. Even scaleway used to work. It feels like scaleway made a small change to their s3 implementation that broke the Synology s3 client and I need to find what that is so that one side or the other fixes it. Also the windows desktop client s3 backup works for my scaleway bucket so the issue is probably on Synology side.

Settings:
Data backup task, s3, s3 custom server, url set to scaleway end point (tried Warsaw and Paris), access and secret key as provided (regenerated new ones and on different regions just in case), bucket name is auto pulled from scaleway and I choose it. Hyperbackup always chooses <nasname>_1 for the directory. I don't choose either of those radio boxes. Once I hit next, it fails.

Upvote 0
I tried deleting the scaleway bucket once more and recreating. The only change I made was to the name of the bucket to a unique name and it works now. So I'm guessing I had used that name before and Synology didn't like it but threw an error about remote permissions instead?

Upvote 0
A bit odd tbh. Not sure how the name could be a factor here as Synology doesn't have a list of all bucket names on scaleway. On that note, setting up a new bucket name on any S3-like service usually needs to be unique ofc, but again, not sure how a 3rd party system could validate that other than saying the entered name is wrong or not.

My test towards one s3 with HB work fine on the latest version

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.