How do you choose your DSM network ports?

Currently reading
How do you choose your DSM network ports?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I keep reading to change it from the default 5000/5001 to make it more difficult for bad guys to find my stuff. I know where to change the port; my question is how do you go about selecting a different number? I don't want to accidentally pick a port number that is even more common than 5000/5001.

I came across a post from @WST16 that addressed this question for me in a previous post. Looks like he's suggesting anything in these ranges?

I forget about RP. I have it set up for bitwarden, but none of the other apps. I suppose I can set it up for all the syno mobile apps like moments, drive, and any other apps to all point to the same port with RP. I am not running a businesses off these; the most concurrent family users I'll probably have is 3 or 4, and that's rare. Is there any concern about overloading a port with RP?

[At the risk of being Captain Obvious again...]

With one Internet IP address from your ISP your router will have:
  1. TCP ports 0 - 65,535
  2. UDP ports 0 - 65,535
  3. A host of other IP protocols too List of IP protocol numbers - Wikipedia
The point is you have only one TCP 443 port and that can only be port forwarded to one LAN device. Run reverse proxy on this device and it can use the domain name in the URL to determine what to do next, respond with: local Web Station; local package’s Application Portal; reverse proxy towards another web server (eg local DSM; other web service); Web Station virtual host.

The reverse proxy device’s SSL certificate or certificates will be used to secure the inbound request so must cover all the domain names you use in the Subject Alternative Names field by either having a wildcard or each specific name listed.

Is there any concern about overloading a port with RP?
How overloaded is overloaded?

If most of TCP 443 is going to be reversed proxied on the same device then it's only adding a bit of RP processing to the eventual load.

I'd guess most home users will be using their newest/biggest NAS as the RP so unlikely that this will be a problem.

Virtually all my services are running through one type of DSM reverse proxy and I've no problems, in a small home setup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.