How have you configured your volumes?

NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how many volumes have you configured on your NAS, and why? Are you guys using a single volume for all your bays?
Myself, I've configured my DS918+ currently with 1x1TB SSD as one volume (with most packages installed here), 2x6TB as one SHR-volume, and a 1x3TB as another volume.

In my main nas:
3x ssd 500gb shr with packages, web server and important quickly changing user data
2x2tb ssd shr with slow moving data
1x 128 gb ssd with downloads and temp ( no backup/ redundancy)

I considered whether to create a multi-volume supporting storage pool but with btrfs supporting quotas on shared folders I decided against it. While quotas are the same as reserving space I decided that, being the main user, I can manage the disk usage as it evolves.

If you want to guarantee disk allocation then that's when I can see using multiple volumes on the same storage pool. For example, projects get NNN GB each.

I have a 3x8TB HDD SHR-1 storage pool that's does everything except for a 2nd storage pool of 1x3TB HDD JBOD for Mac Time Machine. Both single volume btrfs. My Mac's all have a unique TM user and they have restricted access plus user quota on NAS volume 2.

Interesting how differently we set up volumes :)
In my case 4x4TB HDD in one volume, SHR-1.
I'm separating things by shared folders, their permissions and no quotas at the moment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back