How long will the neckbeard pricing on the HAT5300-16tb last?

Currently reading
How long will the neckbeard pricing on the HAT5300-16tb last?

NAS
ds1815+, ds713+, ds1511+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I've been wanting to move up to a ds1821+ but, pricing on the HAT5300-16tb's has remained astronomical for weeks. What the consensus on how long this will last? I'm guessing this is related to the chip shortage and covid issues that are affecting many other industries. To those in the know - Is it projected to get worse? Should I just bite the bullet? I've had pretty good luck with WD but, I was thinking I'd try the 5300's for possible better support and the firmware upgrades. And I know the 12tb's are considerably less but, I want to go big right from the start this time.

Is it projected to get worse?
Can't help but I've some huge 200GB PATA drives that cost a bomb at the time. Seemed a good time to buy then but capacity goes up and smaller drive prices go down. The best thing is to be happy with what you get and if you can wait then you don't really need to spend right now... or so I've been told.

What's the £$€ / TB difference between the 12 and 16's? Then factor in the RAID type to see what happens when you need one less 16 than 12.

Can't help but I've some huge 200GB PATA drives that cost a bomb at the time. Seemed a good time to buy then but capacity goes up and smaller drive prices go down. The best thing is to be happy with what you get and if you can wait then you don't really need to spend right now... or so I've been told.
I'm not up against the wall but, I'm using a nearly 11 year old ds1511 as my backup. I would also like to have a true btrfs backup that my 1815 would give me. Definitely don't have to do it.:giggle:
What's the £$€ / TB difference between the 12 and 16's? Then factor in the RAID type to see what happens when you need one less 16 than 12.
I did look at that, five 12's give about the same capacity as 4 16's for about $200 less, which is all I need atm. I run a separate pool for surveillance and can use some older HDDs that I already have for that purpose. I don't know if that a good idea or not but, it seems like it keeps a little wear and tear off of the other volume by keeping that separate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back