How much free space should I have?

Currently reading
How much free space should I have?

NAS
DS1618+
I have a DS1618+ with six 4TB drives. My primary use is surveillance station with 12 cameras around my house being recorded 24/7 to it. Additional uses are photo station just for storage of my phone pictures, time machine backup from my laptop, and an additional copy of all the data I have on Dropbox. That’s pretty much it.

I have been playing with the quotas for each camera that surveillance station records. I got to over 80% full and the synology is now giving me warnings of low disk space even though I have 3TB free. 90% of the data usage is video from the cameras and I can easily trim back the quotas if need be but I figured why not store as many days as possible. Is being over 80% full a problem and hindering performance or something or is the warning just letting me know disk space is getting low and nothing else?

Put another way is there a certain percentage of disk space usage I shouldn’t exceed? I can really tailor it to any percentage since 90% is security footage and I have no specific requirements for length of storage before purge other than it might come in handy to have.

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS216+II : DS118 : DS120j : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
Just a warning. But be careful not to get close to full. You might end up not being able to login (in a normal way). So better watch it closely and limit SS to a certain quota (I think you said you’re doing that).
You‘re not doing anything that requires heavy disk paging so all should be fine.

That‘s what I think :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!