How to back up Download Station settings?

Currently reading
How to back up Download Station settings?

NAS
DS212J, DS214play, DS216, DS216play, DS414, DS918+, RS212, RS816, RS819, DS223, DS920+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Download Station is not one of the apps that Hyperbackup backs up. And, there doesn't appear to be an "export settings" option in the Download Station itself. So how to download/store its settings so that they can be recovered after a crash (or so that you can move your Download Station setup to another NAS?)

For example:

- List of torrents being seeded
- RSS download filters
- RSS feeds

Best to backup the whole /volume1/@appstore/DownloadStation and overwrite the content if it crashes after you have done the clean install. This is the location where DS lives.
Hello,

a quick newbie question : how I can access there ? /volume1/@appstore/DownloadStation

with Filestation I can't find and idem for windows explorer...

Thanks for your help :)

Hello,

a quick newbie question : how I can access there ? /volume1/@appstore/DownloadStation

with Filestation I can't find and idem for windows explorer...

Thanks for your help :)
You will have to use the Control Panel > Terminal to activate SSH port. Then use the Terminal app or Putty to log into your NAS:

ssh username@ip_of_yourNAS

Vous devrez utiliser le Panneau de configuration > Terminal pour activer le port SSH. Utilisez ensuite l'application Terminal ou Putty pour vous connecter à votre NAS :

ssh username@ip_of_yourNAS
thank you but it's too complicated for a novice like me...

I manage to connect with putty but I find myself on a DOS type interface that I don't master :(

as "Hyper Backup" cannot backup "Diskstation" settings:

Is there any other alternative for someone with only basic computer knowledge?

I would recommend moving away from that tool, as it looks like Synology is also waiting for it to die. Active development has stopped, so it might be only a matter of time before it is deprecated.

The fact that you can't back it up via HB, could indicate that Syno is not interested in that app no more.

If you NAS is Docker capable (from the + lineup), I would advise to set up a custom (more up to date) app there.

I understand that you are a beginner in this, but its not that hard once you invest some time into it.

First Thanks Rusty for you advice.

I'm not a native English speaker so may that why we have a misunderstanding.

I can't use HB because he don't work for backup my diskstation...

To explain my problem:

I have a DS712+ (old but work well) and I changed the hard drives (to two 8TB drives).

The operation of change went very well except that I can't transfer a diskstation backup.

The Docker solution could be the right one but I admit I'm a bit lost.

I started to browse the forum to learn how to use Docker but even if it seems easier to use than Putty. It's still far from simple...

I don't understand how Docker will allow me to make a diskstation backup?

Thanks in advance for your explanations 🙏

I don't understand how Docker will allow me to make a diskstation backup?
The idea is to use Docker platform to run a new alternative to Download Station. If you need some help contact me in PM and lets take it from there as Docker might be a bit challenging if you haven't looked into it a before.

L'idée est d'utiliser la plate-forme Docker pour exécuter une nouvelle alternative à Download Station. Si vous avez besoin d'aide, contactez-moi en MP et partons de là, car Docker peut être un peu difficile si vous ne l'avez pas examiné auparavant.
thank you for this offer of help 🙏

but switching to Docker (even if it seems like a good idea in the long run) doesn't answer my immediate problem which is : How to back up Download Station settings?

for exemple :
  • List of torrents being seeded
  • RSS download filters
  • RSS feeds

thank you for this offer of help 🙏

but switching to Docker (even if it seems like a good idea in the long run) doesn't answer my immediate problem which is : How to back up Download Station settings?

for exemple :
  • List of torrents being seeded
  • RSS download filters
  • RSS feeds
Correct. This will not be possible to export other then doing it via ssh, and then maybe import it into some other solution.

Corriger. Il ne sera pas possible d'exporter autre chose que de le faire via ssh, puis peut-être de l'importer dans une autre solution.
so, for lack of a better solution, I would appreciate some help on the commands I need to enter on Putty to make this backup? ;)

so, for lack of a better solution, I would appreciate some help on the commands I need to enter on Putty to make this backup? ;)
Considering that you have managed to connect over Putty, now it is up to you to use regular linux command line commands to copy data to some other location on the NAS.

Those would include top 10 in this list - Top 50+ Linux Commands You MUST Know | DigitalOcean so familiarize yourself with those and try it out.

So quick tuto for a newbie than me

1) DL "Putty" or an SHH software
2) type in the console : cp -r /volume1/@appstore/DownloadStation/ /volume1/save/ "save"= directory you have created
3) put the files of save on a USB key for exemple
4) make a new installation of DiskStation
5) put the files of your USB key on the (new) directory save
6) on the console of Putty type : cp -r /volume1/save/DowloadStation /volume1/@appstore/

Enjoy ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.