How to backup 2 nas units to a 3rd nas?

NAS
DS1621+, DS1621+, DS918
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
So I have 3 nas units total. 2x DS1621+ and a Terramaster f5-221. The terramaster (5 bay, 5x 4tb) and DS1621+ (6 bay, 6x 4tb) have been in use for about a year. I just got a 3rd nas, a DS1621+ and 4x 4tb drives. Now I would like to use the 3rd nas as a backup for the other 2 units. I realize that I dont have enough space on the 3rd to hold the filled contents of the other 2 yet, but this what I have at the moment.

The terramaster and synology in use have about 9tb total between them used. The terramaster is raid 5 btrfs, and the synology is shr1, if that matters.... My original plan was to replace the TM with the 2nd Synology, and use the TM as the backup nas... But if I use the 2nd synology as backup in shr, I could buy bigger drives in smaller numbers as my data grows? (like add a couple 10tb or larger when I can afford it)

Where if I use the TM as the backup only device I have to replace all 5 drives at a time (right?)

Turning to the more experienced users here for some guidance...Opinions?

But if I use the 2nd synology as backup in shr, I could buy bigger drives in smaller numbers as my data grows?
SHR will allow different size drives to dynamically maintain the size of the volume, yes.

Where if I use the TM as the backup only device I have to replace all 5 drives at a time (right?)
If you are using a conventional RAID setup, yes, you will have to eventually replace all the drives in order to get the new, larger size.

Would there any other advantages or disadvantages to this setup?

In my mind, I feel like I should be using the 2 more advanced nas units as the ones I access daily (the synology units) and leave the terramaster as strictly the backup only device... that scenario just makes it much more expensive in a single session to upgrade the drives/storage since its a raid5, unless I dont use raid, but that doesnt seem safe either....?

I would head for a second hand 8 or 12-bay Synology SHR-1 based unit and get rid of the terramaster. The lack of SHR on your backup device will just drive up your media cost over time…

Of course in an ideal situation replacing the terra master with another Synology would be ideal. Which may happen?

I'm considering changing the OS on the terra master.ive seen some posts about getting xpenology 6.2 running on this unit and also truenas running on the terra master... Not sure either of those are worth messing with either?

Here's what I've learned, buying the terra master has been an adventure... The Synology units are rock solid and reliable 100% of the time... For anyone reading this, spending the extra will save you so much headache over all!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.