How to backup a large disk to a JBOD ensemble?

Currently reading
How to backup a large disk to a JBOD ensemble?

NAS
DS1520+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have an external USB drive with two disks. Together they are the size of the data on my NAS, so I could just backup via USB copy if the two disk formed one RAID0 volume. However I do not want a RAID0 arragemnet, because in case of failure of one drive, I loose everything on both drives. Therefore I went JBOD, i.e. two volumes with half the size.

Now, how can I backup to it without me thinking about how to portion the parts on the NAS, so that they fit. Is there an automatic solution which starts writing to one volume of a JBOD ensemble and, after the last file that fits on the first disk, continues by itself on disk two?

Thanks for any help!

Typically, you would create two Hyper Backup tasks, to split the backup between your two USB drives.
Yep, that makes sense. I tried doing this with USB Copy, but it is not easy, because per task you can only set one source directory. So it can be difficult to fill one disk reasonably up (without overfilling it). - Is Hyper Backup better in this regard?

You can set multiple source directories.
Thanks. Just trying it out. Great user interface: You can tick folders, and than even unselect some subdirectories. Much btter than USB Copy.

It is not an automatic way to distribute the backup over mutiple disks, but for a manuall aproach it is pretty good. I think I'l stick with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.