DSM 6.2 How to backup portainer settings

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi everyone,
in order to update my portainer version from 2.1.1 to current 2.11, it is recommended to initiate a backup first.
The issue is that I don't see how backup can be deployed. Any help will be appreciated on this.

Not exactly "back up", but to update portainer, all I do (via SSH) is:
Code:
docker stop portainer

docker rm portainer

sudo docker pull portainer/portainer-ce:latest
Done.

There probably are other ways...

Upvote 0
Not exactly "back up", but to update portainer, all I do (via SSH) is:
Code:
docker stop portainer

docker rm portainer

sudo docker pull portainer/portainer-ce:latest
Done.

There probably are other ways...

Hi Telos, thanks for your reply. This what you mention is already known for update, but not for backup. As taken from portainer suggestion Settings - Portainer Documentation is the way, but I realized that in my version the "backup portainer" section does not exist as presented in the docs.
What if something goes wrong during update? This is why they recommend a backup.

Upvote 0
What about this?

TTnawgl.png

Upvote 0
What about this?

TTnawgl.png
This would be the right thing, but on my portainer there is no such feature. The pic below shows the end of the settings page.
Is there any enable setting for showing up the backup configuration?
Is there another way to do a backup?

1643752568874.png

Upvote 0
That's quite old. I'm on 2.11.

Also... you should be using the portainer-ce image (not the old "portainer" image).

nkEHSHP.png
That's why I want to make an update, but not without making a backup first, for the reason I already say earlier.
This lead me to the question I asked in the post above.

Upvote 0
That's why I want to make an update, but not without making a backup first, for the reason I already say earlier.
This lead me to the question I asked in the post above.
#3 will be enough to get you going and migrate to the new image.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I think the main question is: have you deployed portainer with a map of /data to a NAS folder?
  • YES:
    • Have you backed up the NAS folder?
      • YES: check it really is backed up and up to date.
      • NO: backup the NAS folder.
  • NO:
    • Create a NAS folder that you will use to hold portainer's data.
    • In portainer and SSH find the volume that is used by portainer for it's /data.
    • Copy the volume's contents to the NAS folder
    • Backup the NAS folder
  • Follow the instructions above or here (option 1) Upgrading on Docker - Portainer Documentation .
    • Note: use tag 'latest' instead of '2.11.0' if you just want the most recent image version.
    • Note: change 'portainer_data' to the path to your NAS folder.
    • Note: the instructions assume you named the container 'portainer'.
When I updated from pre-ce to post-ce images the stop, rm, pull, run process is what I did, only changing the image name with the '-ce' suffix. Because I had already been using a NAS folder for /data then the update was simple. In fact I have scripted the update so that now I just run that.

I understand your reticence if you have a complicated setup, but for me portainer just augments the DSM Docker with a few bells and whistles.

Update:
I had missed this in the v2.9 release: HTTPS is enabled on port 9443.

True it's got a self-signed certificate but better than nothing. And there are run options to add your own SSL certificate details. I've updated my script to use this instead of HTTP/9000 and updated my reverse proxy (which has a LAN-only access criteria).

Upvote 0
I think the main question is: have you deployed portainer with a map of /data to a NAS folder?
  • YES:
    • Have you backed up the NAS folder?
      • YES: check it really is backed up and up to date.
      • NO: backup the NAS folder.
  • NO:
    • Create a NAS folder that you will use to hold portainer's data.
    • In portainer and SSH find the volume that is used by portainer for it's /data.
    • Copy the volume's contents to the NAS folder
    • Backup the NAS folder
  • Follow the instructions above or here (option 1) Upgrading on Docker - Portainer Documentation .
    • Note: use tag 'latest' instead of '2.11.0' if you just want the most recent image version.
    • Note: change 'portainer_data' to the path to your NAS folder.
    • Note: the instructions assume you named the container 'portainer'.
When I updated from pre-ce to post-ce images the stop, rm, pull, run process is what I did, only changing the image name with the '-ce' suffix. Because I had already been using a NAS folder for /data then the update was simple. In fact I have scripted the update so that now I just run that.

I understand your reticence if you have a complicated setup, but for me portainer just augments the DSM Docker with a few bells and whistles.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
Thank you.
You're welcome. But if you had replied to the earlier posts if you had mapped /data to a NAS folder then it wouldn't have taken so many posts. I had to think how to provide a response that covered more scenarios because of this missing info.

Anyway, back to the paying day job.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.