How to cancel receiving emails for a NAS user?

Currently reading
How to cancel receiving emails for a NAS user?

NAS
DS107, DS209, DS210+, DS715, DS918+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Hello,

recently I've run into a problem - i found that I do not know how to STOP receiving emails to a user.

To be more precise: we use email server. Everything works fine. But sometimes an user is leaving our group (so I Disable the account but do not want to DELETE it because of some old data at the account) and I do not want that the email adress (eg. [email protected]) is active and I want the emails addresses are inactive.

First I thought that as soon as I Disasble the account, the email reception stop to work. Nope...

Then I removed all user rights to all services (email server as well). Nope..

The server is still receiving emails sent to the Disabled account.

Has anybody an idea how to really DISABLE the account together with the email service for it?

Have you tried renaming the DSM account 'user' to 'user-archive'? Then just check in Mail Server that aliases aren't going to send 'user@domain' to 'user-archive@domain', it shouldn't. I suspect that Mail Server won't have an account for 'user' any more so won't know where to put new mail.

When you enable 'user-archive' account you'll be able to access the mail archive in .MailDir using Mail Station.

I moved local DSM user .MailDir folders to equivalent LDAP user homes and they were accessible in Mail Station for the LDAP logins. This was when switching Mail Server to use LDAP users instead of local users.

Upvote 0
Have you tried renaming the DSM account 'user' to 'user-archive'? Then just check in Mail Server that aliases aren't going to send 'user@domain' to 'user-archive@domain', it shouldn't. I suspect that Mail Server won't have an account for 'user' any more so won't know where to put new mail.

When you enable 'user-archive' account you'll be able to access the mail archive in .MailDir using Mail Station.

I moved local DSM user .MailDir folders to equivalent LDAP user homes and they were accessible in Mail Station for the LDAP logins. This was when switching Mail Server to use LDAP users instead of local users.
Thanks,
a good idea to rename the account. I can use it indeed.

Anyway, Iď like to know if there is an another way how to stop the service for the Deactivated user.

Upvote 0
If by 'stop the service' you mean stop SMTP service from getting emails for a particular email address then no, short of telling people the account is not monitored.

The STMP service will receive mail and determine whether the domain/IP address is one of its or if the mail needs to be relayed on to another service (this is what happens when you send out mail and when you need to authenticate to relay/send mail). If the mail is to a local domain/IP then this gets processed and stored in the inbox of the associated account (all 'user@...' will be stored in account 'user'). If there is no 'user' account then the SMTP server will reply back to the relaying server with a message saying that the account doesn't exist.

If you've added a catchall account for Mail Server (manually editing the config files via the command line) then maybe use inbox rules on the catchall account to delete new messages.

To stop the person using the account, rename it and change the password.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.