How to change file structure hyperbackup between 2 devices?

Currently reading
How to change file structure hyperbackup between 2 devices?

NAS
DS1621+, DS1621+, DS918
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
OK, I have 2 nas units, all I really want to do is mirror certain folders from nas1 to nas2. I want to retain the naming, file structure, everything.. I dont want to make a compressed version, or have it in a restorable proprietary format... I want a clone of folder1 on nas1 root dir, to be folder1 on nas2 root dir. so in the event of needing the backup all anyone would have to do is simply move the folder from nas2 to nas1, or point to the backup folder and everything is exactly the same. (I sound crazy but I am trying to make this as simple a backup as possible)

I tried Synology to Synology, but it makes it like some compressed 'other' type of file you have to restore from and to...? not what I want..... rsync (single version) does what I want but take nas1/root/folder1 and puts it in nas2/root/foldercallednas1/nas1_1/folder1. I know what I want is possible, I just dunno how.....?

I am using 2 Synology units. Thanks.

Last edited:
It is a separate application.

As long as you understand that sync is not a backup. In case you (or ransomware) mess up or delete a file, a few seconds later your sync is also messed up or deleted.
The alternatives could be single version hyper backup, as you already found out, or a shared folder sync, with modified settings like no delete or scheduled, which may delay the sync mess up.

I watched a video to understand folder sync is what I wanted, but probably not what I should do.
I guess for now I'll stick with hyper backup r sync single version.

Anyway to do that from a Windows PC? (As in to backup folders from Windows 10 scheduled with hyper backup)

Thanks for all the help and replies.

I'm surprised you've decided against Shared Folder Sync because it achieves exactly what you want!
I only want it to go 1 direction as a backup, @EAZ1964 explained should nas1 be compromised, so would my backup... defeats the purpose?
-- post merged: --

Not possible w/HB. Synology Drive Backup can do that with non-system files.
I've been using HB in rsync single copy version, I guess thats the right way, its just on nas2 the files are in pool/nas1/nas1_1/my files seems strange, but apparently thats the better way? or am I missing something?

I don't think what are looking for makes sense - you want to retain the exact same file structure, live - but you also want it to be a backup. Those things are different.

What you could do is Shared Folder Sync and then have Snapshot Replication running on one/both machines. Then you have all bases covered.

Hyper backup for me is the safer option. You can set the destination folder when you create the task.

Keeping the same folder and file structure is a choice you can make for sure.
Another choice would be to use the compressed format with version control, takes less space, is quicker and gives you the opportunity to restore previous versions. It is just the better backup imo.
The snapshot replication can indeed be used on systems that support it (BTRFS), but if the HB is running it can be called overkill as then you have your data 3 times on two systems.

I've been using HB in rsync single copy version, I guess thats the right way, its just on nas2 the files are in pool/nas1/nas1_1/my files seems strange, but apparently thats the better way? or am I missing something?
@ed.j summed it up well.

When I started doing Nas stuff a year ago I went in over my head. In the last <year I've seen at least 3 ransomware attacks across multiple brands.and I have all this stuff and NO BACKUP! So I started playing the HB, I didn't like the original folders being nestled inside other folders on the backup. So ok folder sync, yep sounds like what I want. But I don't want to backup \ sync ransomed files should nas1 gets compromised. So you're all right, I don't know what I want. I'm trying to do something so I can at least feel safe that I have something backed up.

I've been searching for 10 months for things to have the Nas (server) do besides be a HDD on an Ethernet port. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shared Folder Sync with "Run sync on modification" would not be appropriate for backup, as mentioned previously.

But wouldn't Shared Folder Sync with either "Run sync manually" or "Advanced schedule" - along with "Recycle Bin" - provide a viable backup, while generating a backup file structure identical to the original?

Or am I missing something? I haven't used Shared Folder Sync for many years... R

Shared Folder Sync with "Run sync on modification" would not be appropriate for backup, as mentioned previously.

But wouldn't Shared Folder Sync with either "Run sync manually" or "Advanced schedule" - along with "Recycle Bin" - provide a viable backup, while generating a backup file structure identical to the original?

Or am I missing something? I haven't used Shared Folder Sync for many years... R
That is why I am asking. I'm not sure what to do or exactly how to do it..... In an ideal world, nas1 would backup to nas2 perfectly, then if nas1 were compromised nas2 would be smart enough to unplug its lan cable and then try to save nas1 :)

So what I am getting from this is I should be using folder sync on a schedule? is that right? like twice a week or something?
Obviously I need the advice, otherwise I wouldn't have asked,

After several failed attempts at HB rsync single copy mode, which was transferring more data from source than was being used on source (8tb used, sending >14tb)

I am now using folder sync from source to target with a once a week schedule. Fingers crossed.
FYI: This 100% mirrors the source folders on target. Naming, structure, everything. Thanks to all who replied.

I respect your choice, you have thought about the subject and made your risk assessment.
Just hope ransomware will not hit you just before the weekly scheduled job, and also assume your handle a max loss of 1 week of modified files in case NAS 1 disk dies.

I respect your choice, you have thought about the subject and made your risk assessment.
Just hope ransomware will not hit you just before the weekly scheduled job, and also assume your handle a max loss of 1 week of modified files in case NAS 1 disk dies.
:oops: wow...
I tried to get the hb single copy mode to work, and for some reason it was sending over more data than the source had on it?

Can you help me figure why hb single copy is completely filling the target nas (14tb) when source nas only had less than 8tb of data?

Last edited:
Sorry, cannot help you with that, only use compressed, multi version HB.
Used the single version to USB several times in the past but never noticed an increase of data.

Not sure how you are organised, but my recommendation is to consider your data and see what is needed. you can have best of both worlds if you create multiple tasks.
Maybe it helps if you split your data into important/often modified, and the rest, and create multiple tasks to cover that. Run daily compresses with version for important, changing files, and have the rest at lower frequency schedule.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.