NAS
DS213, DS224+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Hi,

I'm in the process of migrating my data between an old Synology NAS and a new one. To this end I've done the following

1. Setup new NAS (a DS224+)
2. On new NAS, mount remote folder from old NAS (a DS213)
3. Copy data from old NAS to new NAS via FileStation (right click -> Copy To).

The copy has now completed. Before wiping the data from my old NAS I'd like to confirm that the folders on my new NAS match those on my old NAS. Is there any way within DSM to do some kind of folder comparison operation?

I'm a Windows PC user and I've already tried using a Windows-based file/folder comparison tool that I'm familiar with. Unfortunately, I'm running into an issue that's rendering this approach unsuitable. Specifically, I have quite a large number of files on my NAS with filenames that contain characters that aren't suitable as Windows file names. As a result these filenames get modified on the fly when the NAS is browsed via Windows Explorer (i.e. these filenames looks different in Windows to what they do in FileStation). For some reason that's unclear to me, the filename modification in Windows is different when I access my new NAS compared to when I access the old one. So I can't effectively use a Windows-based file/folder comparison tool to compare the folders on the old and new NAS. Hence my question as to whether I can do this within DSM.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.