How to COPY files over network from NAS to NAS ?

Currently reading
How to COPY files over network from NAS to NAS ?

ram-studio.hr
NAS
DS1817+, RS1221+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,

Excuse me if this has been answered already (I searched but couldn't find a definite answer).

I want to copy files from my DS1817+ to my new RS1221+ in same Local network, but I don't want to copy complete folder system, but some files will be in different locations so I'm looking for a way to discover one NAS in File manager (File Station) of another so that I can select files/folders and copy them in new NAS/folder, but I don't need to do it over windows (I use Total Commander as my main file manager).

I looked online for some options, and they all show some kind of mounting folders etc... but nothing really worked on my side as I expect/want.

So I wonder is there a way to use Synology File Station similar way as in Windows explorer, i.e. see my Network Workgroup PCs/NAS and then copy/paste there (I need to copy millions of files (Photos/videos/music/documents....)) so it's going to be slow (week), and I need to have my PC turned on to do it over network through Total Commander :(. I want to avoid PC on for day/nights to do this, so I'd like if I can do it over NAS-to NAS...

Thanks

Does that mean i'll have same folder names/structure on both NAS systems (which i try to avoid since i'm changing setup on new NAS) ?

Sounds like you'll need to do several syncs on your subfolders to put them into new directories. If you sync your main folder, yes, you'll get the same names & directory structures.
As you then move up your folder hierarchy, you should untick subfolders that you've already synced.

NAS in File manager (File Station)
File Station Remote connection will do exactly that.

Select CIFS from the Tools menu (Remote connection), enter the remote NAS IP address and folder path, authenticate and mount up.

\\ip_address\remote_shared_folder

Now you can use File Station for transfers.

File Station Remote connection will do exactly that.

Select CIFS from the Tools menu (Remote connection), enter the remote NAS IP address and folder path, authenticate and mount up.

\\ip_address\remote_shared_folder

Now you can use File Station for transfers.
Do you mean "Mount Remote Folder" or i misunderstood ?

I don't have CIFS in "remote connection" part/menu

screengrab

Yep i did it there and testing now

So far it says 0% but ok folder i'm trying to copy is 1TB so maybe progress bar is a bit lazy :).

I hoped i could be able to mount complete "root" of old NAS and not just folder by folder but ok i'll do it this way for now

Thanks for help :).

Nice one I was typing from memory so made a wrong turn in the menus, tnx @Coop777
Yes sir, always helps to have a second set of eyes on things.
-- post merged: --

It's working now, progress bar shows 20GB / 1.6% copied (of 1.72 TB).

Niceee :)
One other note - there should have been an option when you mounted it for the first time to reconnect it on reboot of the NAS, did you see that?

If you didn't, you'll have to remap the connection when it does. There are a few times I have missed that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.