How to copy Photos/Videos in Moments

NAS
DS220j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello,
I'm new to Synology and Moments. I have a ton of photos and videos on my phone 500GB and my phone ran out of space. I am in real need to transfer everything to Moments. When I used the Android Moments app, it only copied screenshots to my amazement. But it did create a folder for each day in the last 2 years, 2020 and 2019.

And Moments Android app is not working anymore. I'm not sure if it is even working because I don't see anything except the screenshots I took on my phone.

What is the correct way to copy the photos and videos from my phone to Moments? Do I literally have to copy to each of the folders by day from phone to moments? Or should I just dump everything under the Moments/Mobile/SM-xxxx/DCIM folder? If I dump everything, will Moments index all photos and organize everything into the folders it created? I'm so confused. Please help!

I learnt that there is no Windows app for Moments on this forum.

Thanks,
SK

I cannot help you much on the "correct" way to transfer pics, but I absolutely despise the folder structure that is created when you allow moments to import the pics for you. Creating a folder for every year/month/day is stupid and a pain in the rear if you want to manually find any of the pics using file station or file explorer. I believe you can copy/paste the pics into the home/moments folder and moments will find them there without creating all the stupid folders, but I could be wrong. Its been a while since I did it.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I don’t use moments, so I can’t help there. But here’s an app that I have (although it’s been a while since I used it), that might help with the transfer. Check it out.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I don’t use moments, so I can’t help there. But here’s an app that I have (although it’s been a while since I used it), that might help with the transfer. Check it out.

Thank you WST16.

Last edited:
I'm actually working on rebuilding my moments database due to some other changes I made. I just verified that you can indeed copy/paste your files and/or desired folder structure into the home/drive/moments folder and moments will find it there. I don't know if its the best method, but I highly recommend it over using the moments auto-download because your folder structure gets crazy.
-- post merged: --

perhaps you could even use WST16's app to download the pics directly to the moments folder without having to use moments as the downloader or doing the copy/paste method. This would allow you to still use moments as a viewing/file share app.

Also, if you do happen to have a bunch of pics all broken out into a bunch of folders now, a user on this forum found this app for me. It'll go through and pull all the pics out of the subfolders and re-sort them into a folder structure of your choosing. I found it very handy. I went from a folder structure that was many levels and branches deep to this to the below pic. all pics/vids sorted by year only.

1609252897620.png

That's great. Thank you NAS Newbie! I'll give it a shot. Looks much more cleaner and manageable than folder per day. Thanks for sharing !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.