How to delete .hbk folders on backup target NAS

Currently reading
How to delete .hbk folders on backup target NAS

NAS
DS920+
I created a backup task using Rsync from my DS920+ with the data going to my QNAP NAS. I got it setup and, in the process, a new folder was created on the QNAP with a .hbk extension. I determined that this was not going to be what I wanted so I did not proceed with the backup. But now, I have this folder on my QNAP that I cannot delete. I've tried it by using the File manager on the QNAP and I also deleted the backup job on the Synology. I'm at a complete loss, not to mention totally frustrated. Any suggestions how to clean up my little mess ?

Deleting the task in Hyper Backup won't delete the backup data on the destination, you have to tidy up these backup locations when you determine that you no longer need them.

It sounds that it could be a permission issue on the QNAP that is stopping you deleting the .hbk folder. You can probably check the folder's access permissions to see which account can modify/delete it and its contents.

Upvote 0
Deleting the task in Hyper Backup won't delete the backup data on the destination, you have to tidy up these backup locations when you determine that you no longer need them.

It sounds that it could be a permission issue on the QNAP that is stopping you deleting the .hbk folder. You can probably check the folder's access permissions to see which account can modify/delete it and its contents.
Yes, I checked the permissions - the admin account had read/write permission. I even gave the guest account permission to read/write so there should be nothing holding back any user from deleting the folder.

Upvote 0
I figured it out. But the solution was not with Synology which is where the problem was created. It was going into the QNAP's Multimedia console app \ Thumbnail Generation. Disabling Thumbnail Generation did the trick. I'm still P.O'd that Synology created a problem that it could not fix.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
This doesn’t seem to be a Hyper Backup problem. And it’s not unique that a backup solution doesn’t delete the archive it created: for example, Apple’s Time Machine doesn’t do it either.

Well done for finding the issue, it certainly sounds to be a completely unrelated QNAP feature that caused your problem.

Upvote 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I figured it out. But the solution was not with Synology which is where the problem was created. It was going into the QNAP's Multimedia console app \ Thumbnail Generation. Disabling Thumbnail Generation did the trick. I'm still P.O'd that Synology created a problem that it could not fix.
I think your ire is misdirected; from your description of the issue, it appears that Qnaps' thumbnail generation process was preventing you from deleting the folder...not sure how this is the fault of the Synology...?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.