Resource icon

Tutorial How to find UID (userID) and GID (groupID)?

Currently reading
Tutorial How to find UID (userID) and GID (groupID)?

SynoMan

Administrator
Founder
www.synoforum.com
NAS
DS720+, DS418play
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
SynoMan submitted a new resource:

How to find UID (userID) and GID (groupID)? - Tutorial on how to find UID (userID) and GID (groupID)

First, you need to SSH into your NAS.

When you are in your NAS with the user you want the ID for, just type id and hit Enter.

Now you'll get something like this:

uid=1031(your_nas_user) gid=100(users) groups=100(users), 101(administrators)

From that, you can read your UID is 1031, user group is 100, administrator group is 101 (if this user as an administrator).

This information is useful...

Read more about this resource...

Thanks for the tutorial. Newbie question: is there any reason to be using an admin user to run docker containers? I have come across different syno apps (specifically some backup apps) that require an admin user for things like connecting to an off-site NAS. Are there any similar requirement for docker containers, or should a user that has almost all privileges except for DSM be able to run the containers?

Follow up questions: Just found out I cannot SSH into my NAS with a non-admin user per the note in the Terminal page of the control panel. Your comment "(if this user is an administrator)" seems to suggest otherwise? So, can I SSH into my NAS with a non-admin user? If so, how? Do I need to somehow figure out my non-admin UID/GID to use with docker instead of my admin user?
1610600995076.png

Follow up questions: Just found out I cannot SSH into my NAS with a non-admin user per the note in the Terminal page of the control panel. Your comment "(if this user is an administrator)" seems to suggest otherwise? So, can I SSH into my NAS with a non-admin user? If so, how? Do I need to somehow figure out my non-admin UID/GID to use with docker instead of my admin user?
View attachment 2827
You can’t. User has to be admin member

Thanks for the tutorial. Newbie question: is there any reason to be using an admin user to run docker containers? I have come across different syno apps (specifically some backup apps) that require an admin user for things like connecting to an off-site NAS. Are there any similar requirement for docker containers, or should a user that has almost all privileges except for DSM be able to run the containers?
docker runs with root permissions by default

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back