How to fix a stupid mistake replacing old volume with new

Currently reading
How to fix a stupid mistake replacing old volume with new

NAS
DS2411+, DS1817+
Operating system
  1. Windows
On my DS2411+ I had 2TB drives in use and started seeing more and more failures, more often from newer drives than the old ones. So I bought myself some 4TB Red Plus drives to replace them. I went from 10x2TB to 3x4TB given most of my data is on my other NAS now.

I had migrated (or at least thought I had) most data to the new NAS & external drives before shutting the NAS down as it had a degraded volume, and a few days later I yanked them without one final check. The bad news is, I didn't get everything off the old NAS before I pulled the drives. I lost my docker export files and some other things, but more crucially some important files I thought I transferred but apparently didn't.

Is it now possible to shutdown the NAS & pull the Reds, put the 2TB's back in and see if the old volume still boots up? The main problem is I don't remember which bay those drives went in. I can label and put the Reds back in no problem, but I'm worried of the consequences. Is something like this possible, to boot the 2TB volume back up and grab files and then revert back to the Reds?

Thanks.

I've heard a few times that position is important, but I always wondered WHY? If DSM is spread across ALL drives (as it is - right?) why would position of Drive in NAS eve matter if data is everywhere and system is everywhere ?

I've never tried so i can't 100% verify but as EAZ1964 says that should work, you should be able tu put back all your old drives and boot "normally".

Upvote 0
why would position of Drive in NAS eve matter if data is everywhere and system is everywhere ?

I'm glad you brought that up. You are correct. Drive order does not matter.

However, the Synology Knowledge Center is quite inconsistent on this. If you look up "migration", you will find this:

ALobaPd.png

Reference

However, if you watch their migration video ...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

... around the 75-second mark, you'll hear Synology say that "you can install the disks in any order in the new system".

Hmm... Which to believe?

The fact is that the information necessary to assemble RAID is written on a member drive in a superblock. The SATA port index is not a factor.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.