NAS
DS220J
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have just bought a DS220J NAS and am following Synology's instructions to Back up files from Mac to Synology NAS with Time Machine. I have got as far as section 1.2.4 to create user, join group and assign read/write permission to Time Machine User, but when I try to do the next step of specifying a usage quota I can't get to the screen show in step 5 - User Quota Settings. I think it way be because of something I did earlier before I started the Time Machine setup. If I now go to the User folder and try to edit it, there is no option to set a Usage Quota.

Can anyone suggest what I should do next?

Last edited:
Ah, you could be right. I've just discovered this note in the documentation:
Only on models that support the Btrfs file system can users set usage quotas for individual folders. If your NAS server only supports the EXT4 system, you can only set a usage quota for the entire volume.

So I now need to find out which file system it uses. If I can't set a quota, how do I prevent the Time Machine backups from filling the whole disk?

[Edit} Yes it's Ext4, so I now need an answer to my last question. Anyone?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sorry, but I am finding this so confusing. I followed the link kindly provided by WST16 and it worked. Since then I have been exploring DSM further and trying to set up files sync between my Mac and the NAS. In the process I changed the password and found that Time Machine couldn't access the NAS any more, so I set up TM again. Now I find that I can't set a quote because when I go to the User screen and click on Quota I simply get the message "The quota for TM-iMac is unlimited".

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Attached. Actually, I've just realised that the User already has a quota of 2000 GB, which is what I had set it to previously. So I'm not sure what the "unlimited" message means. Also, am I able to change the quota later, should I so wish?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 12.14.41.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 12.14.41.png
    401.3 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 0
Attached. Actually, I've just realised that the User already has a quota of 2000 GB, which is what I had set it to previously. So I'm not sure what the "unlimited" message means. Also, am I able to change the quota later, should I so wish?
Interesting.

User quota limit should be 4095GB (4TB)

Yes, you should be able to change the quota at any point.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.