How to increase the HDD size of SHR on a DS918+?

Currently reading
How to increase the HDD size of SHR on a DS918+?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I currently have 4 3TB drives in SHR. If I want to replace them with 4 6TB drives, do I have to add one at a time then rebuild the pool?
Thanks

Yes, that is the way to go, there is an extensive document on disk management and upgrading on the synology knowledgebase that guides you through the process. The operation is not risk free, so have your backups completed in case a disk fails during the stressy 3 times rebuild.

Indeed, you have to go to disk management, deactivate the first HDD, then you pull it out, replace it with your new 6TB (that you, obviously, have surface checked before or made a long smart test) then you repair your volume, once that done, you do it all over again for the 3 other disks.

After that, you have to expand your volume (assuming you only have one) to the new maximum avaible size and voilà.

I just did it on a raid5 made of 9 disks from 6TB to 8TB the disk, took me easily a good big two weeks.

Of course it is best not to use your NAS during that kind of upgrade, at least not heavily. (Anyways, it will be very very slow)

What you can perhaps do, I never tried, is to upgrade one disk, see if you can expand your SHR volume, wait a week, and do it again, and so forth and so on.

This can perhaps help the stress on the 3TB disks wich I think are very quite old.

Also a good idea, is to dismantle your syno, and give it good compressor cleaning, so that you avoid hotspots when you repair the parity.

If your in hot place you can also put fan over the nas, but don't put in the fridge :)

Hope this helps.

On a 918+ you can pull the drive hot, and insert its replacement hot. Then rebuild via Storage Manager.

Quite easy... Same procedure as here:

On a 918+ you can pull the drive hot, and insert its replacement hot. Then rebuild via Storage Manager.

Quite easy... Same procedure as here:
Easy it is, but 3TB are old tech drives... it's perhaps better to deactivate the drive first rather than pull it out hot.
-- post merged: --

I forgot to mention that I found the rebuild did go faster with the ssd cache disabled

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.