NAS Compares How to Install Plex on a Synology DS223 and DS423 with Container Manager / Docker

Currently reading
NAS Compares How to Install Plex on a Synology DS223 and DS423 with Container Manager / Docker

Last edited by a moderator:

Installing Plex Media Server on a Synology NAS in DSM 7.1/7.2: A Step-by-Step Guide

Plex Media Server is an excellent tool for managing and streaming your media collections. It can run on numerous platforms, including Synology’s DiskStation Manager (DSM), the operating system for their Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices. In this guide, we’ll explore the process of installing Plex Media Server on a Synology NAS using Docker, a platform that simplifies application deployment. Note: This guide assumes you have DSM already installed on your Synology NAS, your multimedia already in folders on the NAS storage and you’ve set up Container Manager/Docker. (Docker is the DSM 7.1 and older release name, whereas Container Manager is the new DSM 7.2 branding. Both are largely the same but with tweaked changes in the GUI and setup pathways, and both are powerful tools for running applications inside isolated containers, simplifying installation and configuration. Additional note, for the sake of ease, I have opted for the Docker installation path/methodology, but many of the parts of Step 6 have been consolidated in Container Manager – so do factor that in. The results are largely the same but there are differences between them in a page-by-page installation in the setup wizards, and a single ‘all config options in a single window’ presentation in the GUI. Do factor that in, depending on whether you are using DSM 7.1 Docker or DSM 7.2 Container Manager.

Pasted-17.png

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.