How to keep synced files offline on IOS device (a la DS Cloud)

Currently reading
How to keep synced files offline on IOS device (a la DS Cloud)

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
With DS Cloud being EOL, I am looking for an alternative solution that allows me to sync mobile IOS devices with my NAS, while keeping the files available offline.

I feel my requirements are rather modest:
  • a directory tree on the NAS
  • shared access by two users
  • the tree kept sync'd on mobile devices
  • the mobile files remain available even when there is no network access.

I had a working solution with DS Cloud but now I am at loss how to achieve this. Drive does not seem to provide that last bit. But maybe there are other third party solutions?

Frank

an option is to make the iphone/ipad documents sync to icloud, then the icloud will sync to my macbook, and then run drive or cloudsync from the macbook to the NAS.
So a 2 step instead of a direct sync.
A similar option would be to work (theoretically, did not check) using the idrive mobile functionality.

What on the mobile device are you looking to sync? Drive app has a sync task which will create a local folder on the iPhone and sync that to the remote folder of your choosing on the NAS.

I just want to sync basic files: pdf, images, text. I did create a sync task in the Drive app and that works, except when I go offline (e.g. airplane mode). Then most of files are not accessible.

Frank
-- post merged: --

an option is to make the iphone/ipad documents sync to icloud, then the icloud will sync to my macbook, and then run drive or cloudsync from the macbook to the NAS.
So a 2 step instead of a direct sync.
A similar option would be to work (theoretically, did not check) using the idrive mobile functionality.
If I sync everything via iCloud, the added value of having a NAS is reduced. I prefer my files not to be shared with a cloud service.

Frank

I just want to sync basic files: pdf, images, text. I did create a sync task in the Drive app and that works, except when I go offline (e.g. airplane mode). Then most of files are not accessible.

I’m not seeing that same behavior. I just tested this, I created a sync task and saw it under the files app under drive. I then put the phone into airplane mode, forced closed all apps, opened files and I was able to open and view the files offline. The only folder that remains accessible is the sync folder, which would be what you’re looking for.

Confirm in drive settings “download files for offline access” I have set to wifi and cellular.

hmm...I have the same settings for “download files for offline access”. Still I could only access some of the files through the Drive app.

However, based on what you wrote, I tried to access them also through the IOS Files app under Drive and this way I do have access !!?!

I didn't expect this behaviour and I will explore it a bit further. It does seem to solve my problem.

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited:
However, based on what you wrote, I tried to access them also through the IOS Files app under Drive and this way I do have access !!?!

I didn't expect this behaviour and I will explore it a bit further. It does seem to solve my problem.
But it said that when you create the sync task.

1675861025899.png

I had seen that and I was aware that the files would (also) be accessible via the Files app.

It was not clear to me that two apps (Drive and Files) behave differently in this respect.

Frank

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.