How to make DS available from other subnet?

Currently reading
How to make DS available from other subnet?

NAS
DS216play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
In my home net I have two subnets - 192.168.1.xx and 192.168.0.xx with common internet gate. My DS216play has fix IP address 192.168.1.4. I need to set up my DS to make it available also from the 192.168.0.xx subnet. Has anybody an experience how to do this?

By default your DS should already be available on different subnets unless your DS is blocking this traffic in it's own firewall settings (if enabled).

Maybe share a bit how your 1st and 2nd level of your network looks like. So how (and why?) is your network separated in 2 subnets? Do each have it's own router connecting to your gateway (= internet modem?)? Or is it all handled by 1 router? Can one subnet access the the other subnet at all (if no, then you've got a routing issue)?

Here is proof the DS's can work with multiple subnets (even from different locations) just fine.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
If your common Internet gateway is the router that links both subnets then it needs to have routing rules added that permit it to pass packets between them.
I need to keep subnets separated, only link the DS device. I tried to find solution in DSM settings (virtual server, routing, ... but no result).
-- post merged: --

By default your DS should already be available on different subnets unless your DS is blocking this traffic in it's own firewall settings (if enabled).

Maybe share a bit how your 1st and 2nd level of your network looks like. So how (and why?) is your network separated in 2 subnets? Do each have it's own router connecting to your gateway (= internet modem?)? Or is it all handled by 1 router? Can one subnet access the the other subnet at all (if no, then you've got a routing issue)?

Here is proof the DS's can work with multiple subnets (even from different locations) just fine.
I have one common internet modem with 2 routers. One for our family, second for my relatives family (in one house). DS is on my subnet a I only want to share access to some files and media with other subnet.

I try to explore the post you mentioned.

Upvote 0
Having two routers isn't exactly a normal thing as far as I know. You may want to upgrade your router to a more pro solution like Ubiquiti's Unifi line. With this you would be able to separate the subnets but still allow access to your Synology device from both if wanted.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back