How to migrate DS916+ to DS920+ without problems and data loss!

Currently reading
How to migrate DS916+ to DS920+ without problems and data loss!

NAS
DS920+, DS916+, DS211j
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Good morning everyone,

I hope you guys can help me with the following challenge.
I want to replace my DS916+ with the DS920+ and hope to do it smoothly and without problems.

The DS916+ has 1 volume (storagepool1 in SHR, 2TB) and on it runs, among other things:
- VMM (vm's debian for docker and vdsm)
- Docker
- Webstation (for Standardnotes extensions)
- Mailplus server
- Drive server
- DNS server
- VPN server (openvpn)
- Moments and a few other synology packages

The DS920+ has 2 volumes; volume1 (storagepool1 in SHR, 2TB SSD) and
volume2 (storagepool2 in SHR, 8TB WD HDD)

Now I want to migrate the following like this;
on the DS920+ volume1 (2TB SDD):
- VMM (vm's debian for docker and vdsm)
- Docker
- Webstation (for Standardnotes extensions)
- Mailplus server
- Drive system
- DNS server
- VPN server (openvpn)

And on volume2 (8TB HDD)
- homes
- all shared folders
- music
- photos and videos

It's the first time for me that I have to migrate so much data and programs to new hardware.
My first nas was the DS211j and I didn't have docker, mailserver and VMM on it so it was pretty easy to migrate it to the DS916+.
But the challenge is much bigger now and I hope you guys can help and support me in this to make this migration as secure and smooth as possible.

I would love to hear your suggestions!
TIA

Guessing you already have the nas with new volumes, then you will have to migrate services "by hand" unless you can do it using HyperBackup. Some elements you will have to do manually (like export your VMs from vmm and import it in your 920 VMM), some could be automated.

Another method would be to use Migration Assistant tool as well, so look into it and see what the MA will offer as the end result.

Point is, that you are not migrating the drives, so inplace migration is out of the question, and the fact that you have 2 separate device already configured as individual NAS device. In this case, migration assistant and hyper backup should provide you with the migration scenario that should be as painless as possible.

Guessing you already have the nas with new volumes, then you will have to migrate services "by hand" unless you can do it using HyperBackup. Some elements you will have to do manually (like export your VMs from vmm and import it in your 920 VMM), some could be automated.

Another method would be to use Migration Assistant tool as well, so look into it and see what the MA will offer as the end result.

Point is, that you are not migrating the drives, so inplace migration is out of the question, and the fact that you have 2 separate device already configured as individual NAS device. In this case, migration assistant and hyper backup should provide you with the migration scenario that should be as painless as possible.
Thanks @Rusty for the suggestions I will give it a try and report back how it went!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.