DSM 7.0 How to migrate from 1621+ DSM 7 to 1821+ DSM 6 ?

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 How to migrate from 1621+ DSM 7 to 1821+ DSM 6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NAS
DS1621+, DS1512+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So, I didn't listen and jumped on the DSM 7 bandwagon, but I was afforded the opportunity to replace my DSM 1621+ which is on DSM 7 with an 1821+ that I have yet to spin up.

I'm going with brand new HDDs in the 1821+ and would like to ask the best way to migrate from the 1621+ to the 1821+

Thanks in advance.

After you create your storage on the 1821+ - create a shared folder on it. Then, mount that shared folder on the 1621+ and you can then copy the data directly from NAS to NAS. You could also use hyperbackup but I'm old school and like to do things manually.

Im guessing settings and everything else I need to do manually? Will copying the files also copy file history / revisions / etc as well as keep permissions? I'm hoping for something akin to rsync ?

I'm hoping for something akin to rsync ?
If you use HyperBackup with a single-file rsync method you will have it all transferred along with permissions. You could also use Control Panel > Update & Restore > Configuration backup option to export and then import your NAS config settings. This will allow you to transfer almost all of your config parameters. In this case it's from dsm 7 to dsm 6 so not sure how that will play out, but it won't hurt to try.

Sorry to just join and post but time is kinda short. Can I ask my question here or should I post a new thread? Similar topic and I posted this on the Synology forum, figured I'd try this one as well. copy and pasted.

I think I'm boxed in here and not seeing a solution. Current NAS (DS1513+ and DX513) has 43.5TB storage, 30 TB used.
Have a NIB DS916+ purchased a few years back and I ordered 4 of the 14 TB drives thinking it would give me enough space to run 3 drives and 1 as SHR. I'm not finding a method other than running JBOD on the DS916+. Reasoning is I could be heading back to work overseas and thought I'd just make a backup of my primary NAS but have it all in one bay to save space and shipping costs.
Any options? I tried the lazy way out and shut down primary and pulled one 8TB drive, rebooted and not able to just downsize. Plugged the old drive in, crashed. Rebuilding now. Only thing that works to me is set up the new NAS as 3 drives, one as SHR and start manual migrating stuff over. Tried using Migration Assistant but it said I need more drives to match my old NAS. So close.
How would I manually migrate stuff from one NAS to another? Newbie for the most part, I do enough to just keep it as personal storage and not set up for others to use.

Thanks!

How would I manually migrate stuff from one NAS to another?
Same as before. Use Hyper Backup to transfer all the data you need from one NAS to the other.

I have to say I am not clear on your current setup and what did you do in the end, but while both NAS are alive and well you should have no problem moving data using Hyper Backup.

Thank you. Yeah I condensed my question too much. I'll research this Hyper Backup option to find out if it's automatic or just how it works. The new 916 is powered down now, the older system is rebuilding the original disk. Once I'm 100% then I'll try Hyper Backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.