How to migrate my NAS to a new network?

Currently reading
How to migrate my NAS to a new network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discoverable from where?

You should look at the current LAN and the NAS's LAN settings: what IP subnet and how is the NAS IP address assigned; also the subnet's gateway IP and DNS servers.

Then assess the target LAN and how it compares (or doesn't). Prior to final shutdown before transit, you may then want to switch the NAS to DHCP assigned network settings. Once installed and running you can search the new LAN for the dynamic IP given to the NAS: check the DHCP server's list of clients, or use arp -a from a command line [look for the MAC address of the NAS]. Then do whatever manual network setup you want once you've logged in to the NAS.

After that you'll have to apply any Internet rules on the firewall/router.

Discoverable from where?

You should look at the current LAN and the NAS's LAN settings: what IP subnet and how is the NAS IP address assigned; also the subnet's gateway IP and DNS servers.

Then assess the target LAN and how it compares (or doesn't). Prior to final shutdown before transit, you may then want to switch the NAS to DHCP assigned network settings. Once installed and running you can search the new LAN for the dynamic IP given to the NAS: check the DHCP server's list of clients, or use arp -a from a command line [look for the MAC address of the NAS]. Then do whatever manual network setup you want once you've logged in to the NAS.

After that you'll have to apply any Internet rules on the firewall/router.

Discoverable from my new house. I realize I'll have to redo a bunch of my stuff to re-enable remote access, I just want to make sure that I have the NAS set up correctly before the move so that I can access via local network at my new house in order to make all the remote access changes from there.

Last edited:
Discoverable from my new house.
Ok, so discoverable by devices on the new LAN, and not from the Internet. I wasn't* sure what access you currently have to the NAS and if transfer of Internet access policies were in scope.

*edited cos it waas late and I mis-typed

It’s better to mark the disks, remove them and wrap them separately for shipment. Sequence shouldn’t matter but My OCD tells me to always do this :)
The 918+ should be easier to move and wouldn’t flex as much as if it was loaded with disks leading to safer journey hopefully.

And before switching off for the move, one last backup.

Good luck :)

Ok, so discoverable by devices on the new LAN, and not from the Internet. I was sure what access you currently have to the NAS and if transfer of Internet access policies were in scope.
Yes, I currently have full internet remote access set up and want to do so at my new house. I just wanted to understand how to set it up to be discoverable and accessible on the new Lan, because I can update the full internet access settings later. I believe you ha e answered the part of my question.

It’s better to mark the disks, remove them and wrap them separately for shipment. Sequence shouldn’t matter but My OCD tells me to always do this :)
The 918+ should be easier to move and wouldn’t flex as much as if it was loaded with disks leading to safer journey hopefully.

And before switching off for the move, one last backup.

Good luck :)
It's a 2 minute country drive to my new house. It won't go in a shipping box or storage, I think it's going to get buckled in the front seat and the set up immediately

@NAS Newbie
I would like to recommend you to write new thread to this part of forum: Home projects
Use paper and pencil, then your phone camera or scanner, send us "as-is" state of your network/devices, then make same for "expected" architecture. Don't be worry about professional way. It will help us to better understand your ideas and provide for you an useful solution.
It's better than write few independent threads what have similar target for you - useful architecture for you.
Enjoy!

@NAS Newbie
I would like to recommend you to write new thread to this part of forum: Home projects
Use paper and pencil, then your phone camera or scanner, send us "as-is" state of your network/devices, then make same for "expected" architecture. Don't be worry about professional way. It will help us to better understand your ideas and provide for you an useful solution.
It's better than write few independent threads what have similar target for you - useful architecture for you.
Enjoy!
If you are willing to take the time to look at it further, I'll try to get something drawn up tonight. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.