How to PXE Boot Linux & Windows using Syslinux

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
dungeonseeker submitted a new resource:

How to PXE Boot Linux & Windows using Syslinux - Tutorial for PXE boot on Synology NAS

This tutorial will walk you through the process of setting up a PXE boot server on your Synology NAS. By the end of this guide you should be able to boot any legacy PC from your NAS into Linux or Windows.

I might consider adding UEFI support to the guide once its finished hoowever it has its caveats. Syslinux cannot boot Windows in UEFI boot mode due to the way Windows handles EFI boot security so a UEFI PXE server can only really boot Linux without chainloading custom PXE firmwares which...

Read more about this resource...

Thanks a lot for the very usefull guide. There is a lot missing info about how to do that. I am using since 2016, pxe on synology.
I just suggest you can you ipxe, to load some isos (that are not too bit) much faster than tftpd, with ipxe. The implementation is easy, and i got a lot of info for doing that, and converting to dsm from ipxe.org and tinypxe.
With ipxe, you will use http protocol instead of tftp, meaning you will need to enable www on dsm, but the speed will be very nice.

My tips:
Loading ipxe, from pxe: (after putting ipxe.krn on root of pxe folder)

LABEL ipxe
MENU LABEL ipxe
KERNEL ipxe.krn
APPEND initrd=menu.ipxe

You will need to create menu.ipxe plain text file also.

I am still reasearching a way to boot efi

Hi
Thank you for the Guide. I am trying to boot Macrium Reflect via PXE also.
I have already hit a problem. I have checked through the settings more then once ( couple of days)
I have no problem getting an ip address. It shows that it is coming from the nas.
When testing the clonzillea steps. I get an error unable to locate the configuration file.
I have checked through all the folders and all the file names and shares. I copied and pasted the code into notepad++
and have checked that it is the same. I changed the YOURNASIP to 192.168.0.134 which is my nas.
The computer gets a valid ip address 192.168.0.200. DHCP IP 192.168.0.134 Gateway 192.168.0.1 which is my router.
I cannot see where I am going wrong.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Cheers
Peter

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.