How to Read Pre-Existing Data from an Independent Hard Drive

Currently reading
How to Read Pre-Existing Data from an Independent Hard Drive

Operating system
  1. macOS
Last edited:
Hello,

I have a synology NAS with an up and working RAID array.

Independently from that I also have an internal SATA drive with data on it, from which I would like to read data through the NAS (since I lack an enclosure to connect to it), and transfer data towards the raid volume.

I found a article* which advises to connect the drive and access the data remotely either through SSH or Telnet.

I followed the instructions from the article and everything works fine, the first command lists me a bunch of drives / volumes, but the second command (written exactly as in the article) doesn't work for me and instead returns me something saying I don't have access or permission for this command (note that I'm connecting to SSH with a NAS admin account from a mac admin account).

Is this the best way to do it? It there another way? What am I doing wrong?

Also, since I've never used SSH before: For the case of data transfer from the independent hard drive to the raid array using SSH, can I just start a transfer and then disconnect from the NAS and the NAS will just continue the transfer on it's own (i.e. is it the NAS that independently executes the command or is it the computer I'm connecting from remotely?)

* Link to Article: Using Synology to recover data from another hard drive

It it the line where the folder "tmp\ntfs" is created with mkdir?
You might need to add "sudo " before this command.

It's the line that says ("fdisk -l /dev/sdd").

1) I didn't use sudo so it's a good input that might help

2) As for the exact command should I enter exactly what's written (as quoted) or adapt it from what is returned to me from the first command?

Thank you for helping!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.