How to Redirect IP Address to Domain?

Currently reading
How to Redirect IP Address to Domain?

NAS
DS1517+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone,

Is it possible to redirect IP to domain in DSM ? I'm using DDNS to acess my Nas remotly. It works fine, but It's possible to access it with the public IP adress.

Is there something I can do ? One NAS is using a fixed public IP adress, the other one is using a dynamic plublic ip adress.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards

Solution
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for late answear. Thanks a lot for your Help. I decided to use OpenVPN to access DSM. It works fine. I'm not accessing It anymore using the URL configured with DDNS.

It's more secure and I can also access the whole network when needed.

Thank you all.

Best regards,
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. When enter in the browser the public IP adresse with the open in the router, I can access DSM. I only want to access the DSM with DDNS.

I can access DSM with DDNS, but also with the IP.

I'm using DSM last update.

I would like to have the same result than this video (One Synology has fixed public IP and the other one has dynamic public IP) :

How to Redirect IP Address to Domain

Thanks a lot for uour

Upvote 0
When enter in the browser the public IP adresse with the open in the router, I can access DSM. I only want to access the DSM with DDNS.

I can access DSM with DDNS, but also with the IP.
This isn't very clear. The way that DNS works is to take the requested domain name and return back the IP address. The network connection then uses the IP address to route across the Internet to your router. Then the router will translate the destination IP address to the NAS's internal IP address and forward the connection request to it.

For web connections the request will also include the information that was used to make the request within the packet data. This can then be used by the receiving web service to perform reverse proxy actions based on the exact server name or IP address you used.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for your help. Well baiscally, I want to do something similar to this video and I would like to know if it'st possible :

How to Redirect IP Address to Domain

Thanks a lot
So you want a reverse proxy redirect from your IP address to your public name? So yes you can do it. What reverse proxy are you using?

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for late answear. Thanks a lot for your Help. I decided to use OpenVPN to access DSM. It works fine. I'm not accessing It anymore using the URL configured with DDNS.

It's more secure and I can also access the whole network when needed.

Thank you all.

Best regards,

Upvote 0
Solution
So you want a reverse proxy redirect from your IP address to your public name? So yes you can do it. What reverse proxy are you using?
Hi rusty, I have the same question. You say "yes you can do it", but how ?

Basically, every time a user or an application requests access to my NAS fixed IPV4 address, I want that request to be automatically routed to "mydomain.synology.me" . So I want the reverse of what's happening now, where typing https (or http) ://mydomain.synology.me takes you automatically to the fixed NAS IP address.

Thanks a lot in advance !

Upvote 0
Hi rusty, I have the same question. You say "yes you can do it", but how ?

Basically, every time a user or an application requests access to my NAS fixed IPV4 address, I want that request to be automatically routed to "mydomain.synology.me" . So I want the reverse of what's happening now, where typing https (or http) ://mydomain.synology.me takes you automatically to the fixed NAS IP address.

Thanks a lot in advance !
Are we talking internal (LAN) access or from a public location (over the Internet)? Or both maybe?

Not 100% clear what the end game here is, but I can say that reverse will take your public name and redirect users to the local service (on the nas or any other device in the network), but the address will remain the "public, FQDN name", it will not resolve to the local IP address.

Not sure if you want that as well or not, but would advise against exposing your local IPs in any scenario.

Upvote 0
Are we talking internal (LAN) access or from a public location (over the Internet)? Or both maybe?

Not 100% clear what the end game here is, but I can say that reverse will take your public name and redirect users to the local service (on the nas or any other device in the network), but the address will remain the "public, FQDN name", it will not resolve to the local IP address.

Not sure if you want that as well or not, but would advise against exposing your local IPs in any scenario.

Hi Rusty,

I already been using subdomain for my nas (920+. nas.mydomain.com) but is there any way to use use cloudflare proxy (nas.mydomain.com)? Because everytime i try activate PROXY on cloudflare, i cant open nas.mydomain.com.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Hi Rusty,
We're talking both, but priority is WAN access. The end game is that anyone / any application who happens to get my IP address (which I don't want to expose, neither the external one or the internal ones) is automatically redirected to my domain name.

Upvote 0
Hi Rusty,
We're talking both, but priority is WAN access. The end game is that anyone / any application who happens to get my IP address (which I don't want to expose, neither the external one or the internal ones) is automatically redirected to my domain name.
Well in that case just use your services using the public FQDN name. The resolution of your public IP address will be impossible to hide unless you use some sort of public proxy service like Cloudflare. If you are using your DDNS name and directly accessing it, anyone that knows that DDNS name can get your current public IP address.

So, avoid sharing your address and configure everything behind a reverse proxy, while using public proxy services to further protect yourself and "hide" in the masses.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for your reply Rusty. "Avoid sharing your address and configure everything behind a reverse proxy". That's my point: how do you do that ?
It depends on what you will be using as your reverse proxy platform as well as are you running your own domain or a Synology DDNS one.

Synology has a build-in reverse proxy inside its control panel (Login portal if you are on DSM 7), where you can configure reverse proxy hosts. If you do not want to use the built-in one, then you can run your own in Docker or on some other device (depending on your current setup and options).

Here is one link that might help you with reverse proxy settings and configurations.

Be sure to use the search and look for "proxy" tutorials to begin with.

Upvote 0
I'm using Synology DDNS aquariuslebateau.synology.me, and I want anyone who happens to know the IP address behind that domain, and types it in a browser or an application , to be redirected to that domain name. I looked at it earlier today, tries to implement the reverse proxy provides by Synology, but I may have made a mistake. I will look at it again . Thanks again for your support, much appreciated.

Upvote 0
You mean the orange option on CF DNS record yes? What happens when you try and reach the URL? Time out or what?

Is the record A host or CNAME?
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I have subdomain cloud.mydomain.com:
1656337560731.png

When i enable proxy for my subdomain, synology page wont open, i see page is not available, when i disable proxy after few min i can open my subdomain.

I want to hide my NAS IP from public, thats why i want to use cloudflare proxy.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I have subdomain cloud.mydomain.com:
View attachment 10110

When i enable proxy for my subdomain, synology page wont open, i see page is not available, when i disable proxy after few min i can open my subdomain.

I want to hide my NAS IP from public, thats why i want to use cloudflare proxy.

Thanks again!
I see you are using an A host record. In my case both A host record or CNAME work. So I would bet that it’s either a port forward problem (but it works if not proxied) or a reverse proxy problem (configuration). Also, it could be some firewall problem on some level.

What do you use exactly as your reverse proxy? Internal DSM proxy or a custom one? Can you share how you have it configured?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.