Currently reading
How to replace a HDD in DS920+

NAS
DS920+, DS416slim
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I know this is pretty basic stuff, but I've not done it before and don't want to mess it up!

Setup: DS920+ with 4 x 4TB in SHR. I have bought 2 x 16TB to increase the volume size (whilst maintaining data).

I have seen some conflicting advice, one says to use the "replace" functionality in Storage Manager but I can't find that.

Official DSM notes basically say pull the drive then repair it - seems brutal to me?!?!?!

Replace Drive to Expand Storage Capacity​

In the steps below, we will provide an example of replacing the drives of an SHR storage pool.

To replace drives:​

1. Launch Storage Manager.
  2. Go to Storage Pool to see which existing drive is the smallest.
    Power off your Synology NAS. (Skip this step if your Synology NAS supports hot-swapping.)
  3. Remove the smallest of the member drives and install a new, larger drive.
    Note: To avoid harming yourself or damaging your Synology NAS, please follow the drive installation instructions found in the Hardware Installation Guide for your Synology product.
  4. Power on your Synology NAS.
  5. Launch Storage Manager again.
  6. Go to HDD/SSD to make sure the new drive is recognized.
  7. The status of your storage pool should be Degraded. Select the storage pool, click Repair from the Action drop-down menu.
  8. Select the replacement drive to add to the storage pool. Then follow the steps of the wizard to finish.
  9. Repeat the above process until all desired drives have been replaced with larger ones.

Also presumably I should put the disks where they will be coolest, so the outside? Currently the temps of bays 1/2/3/4 are 34/37/37/36 degrees. So in bays 1 & 4 ?

Finally, is it worth checking the disks on a desktop (SMART check or something else?) before using them in the DS or does DSM do its own checks? Don't want introduce a dodgy drive!

Solution
I have seen some conflicting advice, one says to use the "replace" functionality in Storage Manager but I can't find that.
simply pull the drive out, put the new one in and repair. Wait for it to repair then repeat the process.

Also presumably I should put the disks where they will be coolest, so the outside? Currently the temps of bays 1/2/3/4 are 34/37/37/36 degrees. So in bays 1 & 4 ?
It will obviously make a difference, so place it where you want.

Don't want introduce a dodgy drive!
You can use Storage Manager HDD section to validate the drive before adding it to the mix
simply pull the drive out, put the new one in and repair. Wait for it to repair then repeat the process.

It will obviously make a difference, so place it where you want.

Don't want introduce a dodgy drive!
You can use Storage Manager HDD section to validate the drive before adding it to the mix

Upvote 0
Solution
Indeed..realize that adding the 2nd 16 TB drive after the repair completes and then you yank another 4 TB drive will probably take significantly longer for SHR-1 to repair (again) and expand the available storage....

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.