How to see files on Hard Drives

Currently reading
How to see files on Hard Drives

NAS
DS-220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
I have a DS 920+ with 4 16TB Hard drives, 2 with active access and data and two as part of a RAID10 (with data protection) set up. Is there anyway to actually see the individual files on the HDs in File Station Like MS's file explorer?

It is not possible to see individual disks or files in setups with redundancy (by definition) unless you break the pool and take out the disk for external analysis.

I guess you mean RAID 1 in stead of RAID 10, as the latter takes 4 disks at minimum.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I have 4 16 TB disks, #1, #2 are the active disks and #3, #4 are RAID disks. Storage Manger show about 30 TB with 23 TB used, so I'm assuming #3 and #4 are the RAID array. I'm not very familiar with RAID arrays so perhaps I'm missing something. #1 crashed a month ago and I couldn't get DSM to repair it. I replaced #1 with exact same type of HD but it is having problems (I'll be posting about this issue later). Despite #1 crashing I can still watch the movies and TV shows and data I stored on the Disks. I'm guessing they were originally stored on disks #1 and #2 (because of the Raid array?) So what I'd like to do see what is on Disk #2 so I determine what will be need to be loaded to Disk #1 when I get the new disk to work. I'm hoping there is a way to use the RAID array to reload the data to the new drive, but if there isn't I have everything saved to separate external HDs, and reload from there.

No matter what I want to have a way to see what is stored on the disks now and in the future.

I hope this makes sense, because I know just enough to get myself in trouble and not enough to fix it. (LOLAM)

Upvote 0
#1 crashed a month ago and I couldn't get DSM to repair it.
I suspect you are one drive failure away from losing all your content. Please post detailed screenshots of Storage Manager tab views for your storage pool, volumes and hard drives.

#1, #2 are the active disks and #3, #4 are RAID disks.

The term “active disks” has no meaning here. Please clarify.

Upvote 0
I suspect you are one drive failure away from losing all your content. Please post detailed screenshots of Storage Manager tab views for your storage pool, volumes and hard drives.

The term “active disks” has no meaning here. Please clarify.
I'm sorry about the lack of clarity in my posts. I'm really not familiar with how RAID arrays work. When I set up the 920+ I installed 4 16 TB HDs. During setup I was given several options for RAID configuration and I opted for RAID10. Everything worked fine for almost a year, then #1 drive crashed. As far as I can tell I have not lost anything, but there is 23 TB of movies, TV shows and other data on the NAS. Storage Manager shows about 29 TB of storage with about 23 TB being used. I assumed that the other approx 29 TB was the RAID. I don't know if a Raid10 configuration on a 4 disk system means the RAID array is spread over all 4 disks or is it concentrate on 2 of the 4 disks? Since I was unfamiliar with RAID and the 920+ worked I was happy. When #1 failed I immediately tried to survey the media on the system by pulling up random movies and TV shows and I seemed to find everything so I assumed the RAID work. However, since I can't actually see what is stored on each disk, I'm really in the dark as to what may have been on #1 disk before it crashed. If there is a way to resolve the issue of finding a file manager for disks installed in a Synology NAS that will help solve my first issue, I think. My 920+ has been working fine for the last month with only 3 active disks, #2, #3, #4. The new replacement drive (exact same as the original and the other three) I installed in #1 slot is not working, but I will post on that issue after I can get this file manager RAID issue resolved. BTW, I do have everything backup on external HDs that are not connected to the NAS or my home network.

Crash 01.JPG

-- post merged: --

you might want to share your setup with screen dumps from storage manager.
I do not understand the “active disks”. All disks should be active unless setup as hot spare..
Please see my response to Telos that I hope clarifies my post further. I really am a total novice about how RAID arrays work, and linux OSs.But my first step, at least in my plan of action is to see if I can determine what actual file are on the installed disks, so I can determine what was on disk #1 when it crashed.

Upvote 0
RAID 10 is a suboptimal choice for your application in my humble opinion. SHR would be better. Since you are in a degraded state, the loss of a second drive could render all your content “lost” (apart from your external backups). You need to add a new 16 TB drive to replace the failed slot one drive. If you've already done that (you did not provide the screenshot of your drives, so we cannot tell the current status of drive slot 1) you should invoke the “repair now” link given in Storage Manager.

Before you do that be sure your external backup is current, should another drive fail before the rebuild process completes.

Upvote 0
RAID 10 is a suboptimal choice for your application in my humble opinion. SHR would be better. Since you are in a degraded state, the loss of a second drive could render all your content “lost” (apart from your external backups). You need to add a new 16 TB drive to replace the failed slot one drive. If you've already done that (you did not provide the screenshot of your drives, so we cannot tell the current status of drive slot 1) you should invoke the “repair now” link given in Storage Manager.

Before you do that be sure your external backup is current, should another drive fail before the rebuild process completes.
I did install a new HD when #1 failed but I couldn't DSM to to accept it and could do nothing with it. I had to take a couple of weeks off from all of this for some personal time, so I don't remember everything I did, but I may have disable the new HD. So storage manager only shows the three disks now. The new #1 disk is still in the 920+ but its light is not lit up. I don't know if I need to turn off the 920+, reboot it or what. This is the second issue I have but I thought I should first try to see what is on the 3 active disks. . I'd still like to see find an app to shown what is on the disks.

Upvote 0
"I'd still like to see find an app to shown what is on the disks."
You must let go the above. It is just not possible.

In addition to what @Telos said about RAID10:
  • RAID10 is not a good choice for typical SOHO use. The only advantage is that it gives a transfer speed benefit if you are on 10GBe network.
  • Redundancy is at high costs in RAID 10, half of the disk space is used for redundacy: RAID Calculator | Synology Inc.
  • I do recommend to start installation all over: setup SHR first. You will gain 15TB of disk space for free (or have a two disk redundacy in SHR2).
  • Export the system settings and users first so you can use the current configurations you made.

Then add a new disk.

Upvote 0
Last edited:

The file system that is visible in File Station and via the SSH command line is a logical presentation built on top of the combining effect applied to raw physical storage of RAID. The RAID layer manages the low-level read/write of data to the hardware storage, and the drives themselves control the physical read/writing. I may be missing a control layer between the RAID and drives.

The important point for users is to understand the RAID scheme adopted and pros and cons it provides. Some RAID types allow for making larger raw storage areas over multiple drives, but have no data protection should one drive fail. Other RAID types add data protection but reduce the overall raw storage available for user data. Then other RAID type combine these to provide extended storage but with some level of protection. When there is protection it doesn't matter which drive fails, your data is still preserved... some type allow for multiple drive fail without data loss.

So unless you are wanting to access the physic drives and bypass the file systems (volumes) and RAID (storage pool) my hunch to the original question ("Is there anyway to actually see the individual files on the HDs in File Station Like MS's file explorer?") is: No. What is there to gain is having this presentation of drive data? You'd be better off accepting the file system presentation and enjoy using your NAS.

Read the thread a bit more. Did you follow the Help for replacing a drive / repairing the storage pool?

Upvote 0
I'm sorry about the lack of clarity in my posts. I'm really not familiar with how RAID arrays work. When I set up the 920+ I installed 4 16 TB HDs. During setup I was given several options for RAID configuration and I opted for RAID10. Everything worked fine for almost a year, then #1 drive crashed. As far as I can tell I have not lost anything, but there is 23 TB of movies, TV shows and other data on the NAS. Storage Manager shows about 29 TB of storage with about 23 TB being used. I assumed that the other approx 29 TB was the RAID. I don't know if a Raid10 configuration on a 4 disk system means the RAID array is spread over all 4 disks or is it concentrate on 2 of the 4 disks? Since I was unfamiliar with RAID and the 920+ worked I was happy. When #1 failed I immediately tried to survey the media on the system by pulling up random movies and TV shows and I seemed to find everything so I assumed the RAID work. However, since I can't actually see what is stored on each disk, I'm really in the dark as to what may have been on #1 disk before it crashed. If there is a way to resolve the issue of finding a file manager for disks installed in a Synology NAS that will help solve my first issue, I think. My 920+ has been working fine for the last month with only 3 active disks, #2, #3, #4. The new replacement drive (exact same as the original and the other three) I installed in #1 slot is not working, but I will post on that issue after I can get this file manager RAID issue resolved. BTW, I do have everything backup on external HDs that are not connected to the NAS or my home network.

View attachment 15135
-- post merged: --

Please see my response to Telos that I hope clarifies my post further. I really am a total novice about how RAID arrays work, and linux OSs.But my first step, at least in my plan of action is to see if I can determine what actual file are on the installed disks, so I can determine what was on disk #1 when it crashed.
You need to abandon your first plan. The OS (operating system) and file system you're working with are totally foreign to you according to your comments multiple times. Metaphorically speaking, have never even seen water, much less been been wet in your whole life and you've suddenly been dumped into a whirlpool in the middle of the Pacific ocean with no land in sight for a thousand miles with no training. This problem will not get solved using DOS thinking. It's a whole different language and culture. It's going to be necessary for you to go slowly and methodically lest you create a minefield. Float first, next things next.

Right now, we don't even know if the damaged 16-TB HDD was replaced with another 16-TB HDD, much less the brand and model, nor whether or not the drive(s) are properly rated for the desired use. And yes, it all makes a difference.

Stick with the advice @Telos is giving, walk through it and you'll be fine. Then once you've got it all squared away, and educated yourself with the links that @fredbert put up for you (and in the process developed a better understanding for just how deep the water was) you'll be in a better position to decide if you want to engage the nuke-it and start-over option @EAZ1964 suggested (and you might notice is roundly agreed with).

DSM really is designed to handle these things with aplomb, even for novices. Don't fight with it… follow the lead and dance.

Upvote 0
So it seems the drive in bay 1 isn't electrically connected, i.e. detected by DSM. If you have an external USB caddy you might connect it to your PC to see if it is detected. You could also try popping out the drive from the bay and cleaning the connectors, and re-seating it to ensure it's fully engaged.

Upvote 0
So it seems the drive in bay 1 isn't electrically connected, i.e. detected by DSM. If you have an external USB caddy you might connect it to your PC to see if it is detected. You could also try popping out the drive from the bay and cleaning the connectors, and re-seating it to ensure it's fully engaged.
Had a external USB 2.5 case. The connections were the same on the #1 HD. Connected it to my tabletop and nothing, no spinup, nada. Does it matter that the connection was for 2.5 HD?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back