How to set the image matrixdotorg/synapse in Docker on Synology?

Currently reading

NAS
DS3617xs
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I installed this container, but I don't know how to configure it.
I am not an advanced user, but just a beginner.
I need instructions for tuning to Synology.
My docker image does not start

Let me start with the question if you are aware what you are dealing with here?

Matrix is more like a DIY shop that provides the ressources, but will need you to macGuyver the configuration yourself, even more so if you plan to use bridges... It is far away from beeing a polished product with a ui driven configuration.

Thus, said, I created a github project that does the initial setup of Synapse and Element- no bridge so far. At one point it become less of a priority for me, the more I looked at it the messier it appears to me. I completly disslike the idea that some bridges run a chrome browser to scrap content to make it available in the Synapse instance...

To get it up and running, you will need to have the git command line client on your nas. You will need to checkout the project and follow the instructions on the README.md.

If this seems to complicated, then I highly recommend to buy a book about how to setup matrix, as like I already wrote: it's not a simple task.

Thank you for your feedback!
I have experience in setting up Matrix Synapse on a virtual server from a provider, but setting up in docker does not work. That's why I asked for help. If there is an opportunity to step by step schedule the installation and configuration of the docker on Synology. Thank you for the early.

I have experience in setting up Matrix Synapse on a virtual server from a provider, but setting up in docker does not work.
Wouldn't you agree it's time to present your case in a way that someone else actualy has a fighting chance to understand what you tried so far and where the problem is? I am quite confident more people (including me) are willing to iron out the problems with your approach, then writing a step by step instruction from the scratch.

It's your call if you choose to share the relavant information with us and find help or wait for a step by step instruction..

Why don't you just use my bootstraping project? It will give a correct configured starting point. Since you are experienced with Synapse already, you should be able to pick up from there and add the configurations you need.

I installed the Synapse Matrix not in Docker, but when installed in Docker, I specify the variables, but Docker does not start. What problems can be, I cannot understand.
-- post merged: --

I agree to take part in your GitHub project as a tester.

Hi,
I'm want to test synapse and would like to use your bootstraping project. My question is I already have a running Postgres container, so how can I use that with your script? I saw that your script will create a postgres-alpine container and I would like to use my existing postgres database to keep things simple.
TIA

It is opinionated the way it bootstraps Matrix... You can either modify the code to serve your needs, or you prefarably take it as it is :)
Keep getting this error message The database cluster will be initialized with locale "en_US.utf8". initdb: error: "UTF-8 --lc-collate=C --lc-ctype=C" is not a valid server encoding name
The postgres container won't start?!

I just delete all the data folders and started with a fresh installation. I am not getting the error.

I added color markers to the logoutput of my script - also the Mautrix-Whatsapp Bridge is added, though it's work in progress and by no means finished, so better keep it disabled.

I just delete all the data folders and started with a fresh installation. I am not getting the error.

I added color markers to the logoutput of my script - also the Mautrix-Whatsapp Bridge is added, though it's work in progress and by no means finished, so better keep it disabled.
well my folders are still empty so I don’t have anything to delete and to start over.
The postgres container is created but it won’t start because of the error. I’m probably missing something or doing something wrong.

Last edited:
hmm. hard to imagine that you did.

You did clone the git repo straight on your diskstation, right and edit the config file with a decent editor that knows how to retain linux line endings?

My output for the localization looks different than yours. Yours had the locales at the end of the line, while mine is a multiline output. By any chance, did you change the configured image?
1616104411374.png

You did clone the git repo straight on your diskstation, right and edit the config file with a decent editor that knows how to retain linux line endings?
No I i’m trying to install it on Docker on a VM/alpine. And yes I’m using a good editor (BBedit).

My output for the localization looks different than yours. Yours had the locales at the end of the line, while mine is a multiline output. By any chance, did you change the configured image?
I just copy and paste your line into my CLi commands to create the postges container. I also tried to create the data base through pgadmin but I’m getting the same error and the database cannot be created.

No I i’m trying to install it on Docker on a VM/alpine.
Ah, you are not using it on your Syno. The reverse proxy configuration part expects certificates to be present where the certificate manager stores it and I am not sure if the nginx reverse proxy configuration will work ootb on systems other then Syno's. The whole logging (ok/error) is suited to Syno's directory structure and the presents of files/folders in them. You might get other errors that are not be handled by my logging. Afterall it is specificly made for Docker on Synology.

I just copy and paste your line into my CLi commands to create the postges container. I also tried to create the data base through pgadmin but I’m getting the same error and the database cannot be created.
Hmm. I can see that you have the problem, though it makes zero sense to me. Since the same image is used to create the container the result should be the same... appearently it is not.

Last edited:
This is what it looks like when trying to create via pgadmin
-- post merged: --

Ah, you are not using it on your Syno. The reverse proxy configuration part expects certificates to be present where the certificate manager stores it and I am not sure if the nginx reverse proxy configuration will work ootb on systems other then Syno's. The whole logging (ok/error) is suited to Syno's directory structure and the presents of files/folders in them. You might get other errors that are not be handled by my logging. Afterall it is specificly made for Docker on Synology.
I would like to test it first before installing it on my syno, because I already have a postgres database running on my syno docker for mattermost. And your script is designed to create everything even the database and I’m afraid that I could mes things up if I use your script. so that’s why I’m trying it first in a test environment.

Attachments

• 49D3218D-9557-4B5F-A292-A533BC09CAFC.jpeg
    49D3218D-9557-4B5F-A292-A533BC09CAFC.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 5F839BAD-7EED-41C4-B311-DB9511F27844.jpeg
    5F839BAD-7EED-41C4-B311-DB9511F27844.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 110
  • AAA0D0EC-78C8-4BF1-AD09-E0520E8A4ABB.jpeg
    AAA0D0EC-78C8-4BF1-AD09-E0520E8A4ABB.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 193F6ADD-E617-4E38-8518-43FA3E705A62.jpeg
    193F6ADD-E617-4E38-8518-43FA3E705A62.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 93
  • AB7F65DD-3443-4D3A-ABA7-A1DF170D5A69.jpeg
    AB7F65DD-3443-4D3A-ABA7-A1DF170D5A69.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 108
How should the sript mess it up? The containers are running in their own network, postgres does not publish ports.

FYI: the postgres db args are taken from the official docker-compose.yml of Synapse. They are also mentioned as requirement in the README.md of Synapse.

Though, I can't realy help you with the individual setup. The idea of the bootstrapping was to have a reproducable solution that behaves identical in all installations.

How should the sript mess it up? The containers are running in their own network, postgres does not publish ports.

FYI: the postgres db args are taken from the official docker-compose.yml of Synapse. They are also mentioned as requirement in the README.md of Synapse.

Though, I can't realy help you with the individual setup. The idea of the bootstrapping was to have a reproducable solution that behaves identical in all installations.
So if your saying I could install it on docker syno without a problem for my existing postgres database and it wouldn’t affect anything?

Okay I could give it a try. So where do I clone the github repo? Do I clone it in the root or admin folder or in a docker folder? Sorry for all the questions but I’m not familiar with cloning git hub repo’s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.