How to set up plex DS923+

Currently reading
How to set up plex DS923+

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi I’m new to synology NAS I’ve had a WDmycloud for about ten years as it’s unsupported I thought I’d buy a new nas so I’m a newbie etc looking for tips on how to set up plex as that’s my only use I’ve put two WD reds in 3 tb drives created a pool ? No idea what that is ( back up of one drive mirror? ).
Any way my plex server is on my Mac mini pro this years model but I intend to move it onto the 923+ o think I have done it but would like some tips etc too see if I have please.

There are mainly two ways to install Plex on a NAS. Using the Package Centar or Docker. Considering you have no experience with Docker I would suggest to stay away for it, and there is no real reason to not use the PC install method.

Best to use the plex.tv version downloaded from their web site, as the one inside the Package Center is very outdated.

Once you have the version (x64 one for your model), open up Package Center and use the Manuall install button on the top right hand side. Follow the steps, and you should be up and running in no time.

thanks just that my processor is amd it threw me
Ofc you are correct and my response to your last mess was incorrect. The CPU is not Intel, but AMD abut both are x86 arch (x64 bit version of Plex is needed).

Better not reply to messages while on the phone :P (note to self)

I've almost copied my files over to the new nas my old wdmyclound one 2tb can i pit that into the synology i currently have two wd reds in there ?
and can you torrent to a drive on the gas like transmission or something like that ?.

can i pit that into the synology i currently have two wd reds in there
No you can't. DSM (Synology NAS) will wipe the drives before they can become part of the array.

can you torrent to a drive on the gas like transmission or something like that
Short answer, yes. Download Station in Package Center is the torrent client, but you can also deploy almost any via Docker.

No you can't. DSM (Synology NAS) will wipe the drives before they can become part of the array.

Short answer, yes. Download Station in Package Center is the torrent client, but you can also deploy almost any via Docker.
the wd drive will be wiped anyway its nearly empty now.
im thinking i could add the 2tb drive and torrent to that separate to the other two 3tb reds

You can installed a drive into a spare bay and configure that to be a separate storage pool to that of your other drives. If you are adding one drive then you can opt for types Basic and SHR (without data protection): the latter being able to be updated later to SHR-1 (with one drive protection) if you decide.

The only thing is to be careful and not add drives to the wrong pool.

Do I need the synology web page open where you access the nas open all the time with plex running. If I shut down my Mac does that close the Plex Server on the nas ?.

Oh ok thanks I can close the nas page down then plex will still be running. If I leave the drive mounted on my Mac mini desktop top can just drags files to it plex will update the libraries or do I have to do it manually.
-- post merged: --

Oh the nas has 2 network ports if I connect both to the router or a switch does that make it better or no different. I have 500mb broadband.

Oh ok thanks I can close the nas page down then plex will still be running. If I leave the drive mounted on my Mac mini desktop top can just drags files to it plex will update the libraries or do I have to do it manually.
As long as you have the files hosted on the NAS, the Mac mini does not have to be running at all for the files to be accessible to other devices.
Oh the nas has 2 network ports if I connect both to the router or a switch does that make it better or no different. I have 500mb broadband.
Depends on how many devices you have connected to it on your internal network, but the broadband connection is very unlikely to saturate one 1Mb/s network port.

The only device connected to the nas will be the Mac mini to put files on and the tv for plex.
I’d like to torrent to a separate hard drive on it if it’s possible I currently use transmission on the Mac.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.