DSM 7.0 How to share folder with other users on the network?

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 How to share folder with other users on the network?

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi all! I'm a new NAS user and I recently bought the DS220+. I'm slowly navigating my way through learning and understanding the features. I had a question regarding sharing folders with other users on the NAS.

I downloaded Synology Photos app on my Android phone to upload camera images to the NAS. I created a custom folder for my backup, let's call it "slvrhwk mobile pics backup" and uploaded all the images and videos there. How do I share it with other users on the network? When I go to Synology Photos app on the NAS, I think it wants me to create Albums in order to share it with others. I would just like to share the entire folder. Do other users need to use a different app than Synology Photos on their phones to see the folder and pics? How do I achieve this? Thanks!

File Station... Select folder, then Share.
I understand that part. The folder is already shared with the users. My question was about how can they access it on their devices? Synology Photos doesn't seem to work (I'm trying to use Synology Photos because it's an images folder). Maybe I should install Synology Drive Client on their phones or some other app?

Upvote 0
I created a custom folder for my backup, let's call it "slvrhwk mobile pics backup" and uploaded all the images and videos there. How do I share it with other users on the network?
Let's be more clear:
- "slvrhwk mobile pics backup" = FOLDER = folder in your NAS

Q related to your target:
1. NETWORK - did you mean:
A. LAN - your home network
B. WAN - a connection from the internet
C. LAN + WAN

2. I need to share ALL photos saved into the FOLDER with ALL users over NETWORK = Everyone connected to the NAS from NETWORK can SEE ALL photos.

3. I need to share SPECIFIED photos (my, sister's, brother's, wife's, ...) saved into the FOLDER with SPECIFIED users over NETWORK = Each the user will see just photos defined for him/her. Even each user can CREATE/DELETE files into the FOLDER.

4. I expect for this purpose:
A. a common directory view, like in Windows Explorer I do (for every USER)
B. Synology Photos App or similar App to get a "comfortable preview" for each defined photo in the FOLDER (for point 1 or 2)

5. My FOLDER structure is based on:
A. mess of photos and folders w/o clear structure
B. defined structure, e.g. folder name contains date YYYY_MM_DD or additional ID like an event name, ....
C. same for the files as is in the B., include the file numbering

-----------------

Every kind of expectation has a different treatment, and there is also possible to create a mixture of them. Be clear enough and you will find pro-grade help.

Upvote 0
Not sure what you have already setup in synology photo’s.

Typically you would use the standard PHOTOS shared folder, with sub folders if you prefer.
Then setup this folder as shared space usinge the app on the synology.
then use either map view if you prefer the “folder way” or Album view if you prefer the new way of adding folders to albums.

the user folders will appear under personal space, the shared folders appear in shared space.

does that help?

Upvote 0
Let's be more clear:
- "slvrhwk mobile pics backup" = FOLDER = folder in your NAS

Q related to your target:
1. NETWORK - did you mean:
A. LAN - your home network
B. WAN - a connection from the internet
C. LAN + WAN

2. I need to share ALL photos saved into the FOLDER with ALL users over NETWORK = Everyone connected to the NAS from NETWORK can SEE ALL photos.

3. I need to share SPECIFIED photos (my, sister's, brother's, wife's, ...) saved into the FOLDER with SPECIFIED users over NETWORK = Each the user will see just photos defined for him/her. Even each user can CREATE/DELETE files into the FOLDER.

4. I expect for this purpose:
A. a common directory view, like in Windows Explorer I do (for every USER)
B. Synology Photos App or similar App to get a "comfortable preview" for each defined photo in the FOLDER (for point 1 or 2)

5. My FOLDER structure is based on:
A. mess of photos and folders w/o clear structure
B. defined structure, e.g. folder name contains date YYYY_MM_DD or additional ID like an event name, ....
C. same for the files as is in the B., include the file numbering

-----------------

Every kind of expectation has a different treatment, and there is also possible to create a mixture of them. Be clear enough and you will find pro-grade help.
Thanks for the response. Those are great questions which will simplify my ask. Here's what I am willing to achieve:

1. I am talking about local network. I would love to be able to access it over the internet, but let's stick to LAN for now.
2. There's only 1 photos folder. I would like to share the entire folder with SPECIFIC users on the NAS.
3. I wasn't thinking about this, but it's a great idea! For certain users (eg. siblings), I can enable giving them access to just their pics. I have already tagged people in Synology Photos. As mentioned previously, I don't have separate folders for photos for different users, all photos are in the same folder. Is there a way I can share a photo with a given user where they are tagged?
4. A doesn't apply since I don't have separate folders. I'm looking for B.
5. I do not have a folder structure. My aim was to be able to create a backup of pics clicked from my phone. I just created a single folder and backed up all my pics there. I think Synology Photos will help me create different "views" (all photos for a given person, all photos clicked on a given date, all photos from a particular location, etc, etc) in the future, if needed, à la Google Photos.

Upvote 0
Recommendations

Default setup:
1. Create a new FOLDER as a SHARED Folder
2. Within the FOLDER create these Subfolders (you can tune the names up to you):
- userName_backup_smartphone_target (for every single SPECIFIED user)
and create permissions for the Subfolder (which user can make what ... view, write, delete, etc...)
- this Subfolder you can use for a target of your backup utility and for "cleaning" purposes (garbage, renaming, date modification correction, permissions, ...)
Then create the final SHARED FOLDER, called e.g. "Checked" - which will contain just valuable photos for the related operation (Synology Photos, backup, ....). You can create an One-Way and scheduled rSync task in the DSM Control panel from the "cleaning" subfolders into the "Checked". Scheduling is possible from one minute to XX hours, ... In this case, you can use a specific time, e.g. every day at 7 am.
Here is a simple explanation, how to:
it will keep the photo file ownership (SPECIFIED user). And you can create SPECIFIED permissions for related users within the Checked folder.
With this approach, you will save more than 30-80% of the storage space ;) , and you will get also:
- each user is responsible for the "cleaning" of tits own Subfolder.... you can setup also some policies (storage space limitations), e.g. 30GB for "user B". Otherwise, you will purchase new HDDs every year.
Note:
- you can create additional Subfolders within the Cleaning folders:
- which will only be visible to this user and will not be subject to directory sync to the "Checked" - very private content :unsure:

Next stages, based on your expectations, written:
1. I am talking about local network. I would love to be able to access it over the internet, but let's stick to LAN for now.
ok

2. There's only 1 photos folder. I would like to share the entire folder with SPECIFIC users on the NAS.
Most efficient way (without garbage created by Drive Share) for Win (your case) computers within the LAN:
- Map of the Shared folder/s (SMB) to your Windows environment as a Network disk
- Each user will see its Subfolder - for the mentioned cleaning purposes; also, the "Checked" Subfolder
When the Subfolder is cleaned, you need to wait for a rsync, then you can delete all files from the Cleaning Subfolder. To be sure, you can create a notification that rsync is done.
RULE: Then, the Cleaning subfolder will keep files only for cleaning purposes.
You can also Map the "Checked" folder - to see all photos.

3. I wasn't thinking about this, but it's a great idea! For certain users (eg. siblings), I can enable giving them access to just their pics. I have already tagged people in Synology Photos. As mentioned previously, I don't have separate folders for photos for different users, all photos are in the same folder. Is there a way I can share a photo with a given user where they are tagged?
explained above

4. A doesn't apply since I don't have separate folders. I'm looking for B.
with this approach, you will also get a base for the A. scenario

5. I do not have a folder structure. My aim was to be able to create a backup of pics clicked from my phone. I just created a single folder and backed up all my pics there. I think Synology Photos will help me create different "views" (all photos for a given person, all photos clicked on a given date, all photos from a particular location, etc, etc) in the future, if needed, à la Google Photos.
... you can use EXIFTOOL (mentioned) for the more cleaned source for the final Photo App (e.g. Syno Photos). Just one last note - when you will change the Synology Photos to a different platform in the future, you will appreciate the cleaned structure more than a single folder for everything.

Finally, you can use the "Checked" folder as the source for your Photo App.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.