Solved how to swap smaller drive for a larger drive in a JBOD setup

Currently reading
Solved how to swap smaller drive for a larger drive in a JBOD setup

NAS
synology 1019+
Hi all, if this is posted already I wasn't able to find it (lack of knowledge on how to search the threads properly) still reading the hints.
I was wondering if it possible to swap out smaller drives, a 2tb and 3tb for a larger one 10tb, they are not nas rated drives and I want to change it out. I am worried that I will lose the data on them and have to reload either the data on the drives or worse have to reload all the data on the whole JBOD 10tb. Just bought 2 10tb wd reds and want to remove the smaller ones without having to reload all of the data that is on them.
I have a 1019+ with a 6tb,3tb,& a 2tb drive, the 6tb is a wd red nas.
New to the concept of nas and server type operating systems, and I am unsure if this is even possible or not. I have more questions but I will post them later, separately, and before anyone asks Yes I have been reading the knowledge bases and other places about this stuff but still unsure if I have it straight in my head,

welcome Sparky in this forum,
avoid a misunderstanding your Current stage and ToBe stage, could you please take a paper sheet (or any digital tool) and draw it to precisely, then post it to here.
E.g.:
- what disk (e.g Disk1 with capacity) contains what kind of volumes (shared folders)
- what are your ToBe and future (one year) expectations (new disks, data redundancy, data backup)
Then you will get clear enough recommendations.

You cannot swap JBOD disks. Backup and start over is your only option.

Technically, you could externally clone an existing disk to another disk, but that would waste the capacity of a larger target disk.

That said... using JBOD infers that the volume contents are not mission-critical, or that you have a robust backup elsewhere (you do realize that a failure of one disk can compromise the entire JBOD file system beyond recovery.

Last edited:
welcome Sparky in this forum,
avoid a misunderstanding your Current stage and ToBe stage, could you please take a paper sheet (or any digital tool) and draw it to precisely, then post it to here.
E.g.:
- what disk (e.g Disk1 with capacity) contains what kind of volumes (shared folders)
- what are your ToBe and future (one year) expectations (new disks, data redundancy, data backup)
Then you will get clear enough recommendations.
As I have said I have a synology ds 1019+ with a 6tb,2tb,and 3 tb drive installed they are under Volume 1,storage 1 pool. JBOD.
For the present time I am planning to move all my media over to the syno and eventually retire most of my computers. and using the syno to stream my media to my tv over my lan, l am not planning to stream it over the internet.
Future plans are basically more of the same when money becomes available to add/swap in bigger drives, (if I can figure out how to do this easily,) i.e not have to start over by installing all the files over to the synology every time I get a new drive.

You cannot swap JBOD disks. Backup and start over is your only option.

Technically, you could externally clone an existing disk to another disk, but that would waste the capacity of a larger target disk.

That said... using JBOD infers that the volume contents are not mission-critical, or that you have a robust backup elsewhere (you do realize that a failure of one disk can compromise the entire JBOD file system beyond recovery.
Hi Telos
I am disappointed that I can't swap disks in a JBOD as the whole idea of getting the synology was to combine all of my media into one location and keep it there where it would be easily accessible to view with Plex or some other media player. also I had hoped that as money came available that I could replace the smaller drives with bigger drives.
Any suggestions about how to accomplish my goals

Hi Telos
I am disappointed that I can't swap disks in a JBOD as the whole idea of getting the synology was to combine all of my media into one location and keep it there where it would be easily accessible to view with Plex or some other media player. also I had hoped that as money came available that I could replace the smaller drives with bigger drives.
Any suggestions about how to accomplish my goals
Only arrays with disk protection offer swapped drives (ex. SHR/RAID1/RAD5/RAID6/RAID10...).

JBOD/RAID0/Basic volumes cannot swap drives (without manual user gymnastics). You can add additional drives to JBOD (limited by the number of available drive slots on you NAS). This isn't a Synology issue. To due what you want would involve creating an SHR volume using your open slots and copying the material across to the new volume.

However... should you do that, whatever drive size you begin with, you may not add smaller drives... so... if you created an SHR volume with your 2x10TB drive, you would not be able to use your 2/3/6TB drives in that array.

or a better question what would happen if I made each drive a separate (?) volume would that allow me to keep the data safer then just having them all in the same volume, so if the smaller ones die then i would only have to re-install the data on a new one not have to re-install all of the data again. sorry still too new to this stuff to know where to get the answers easily.

or a better question what would happen if I made each drive a separate (?) volume would that allow me to keep the data safer then just having them all in the same volume, so if the smaller ones die then i would only have to re-install the data on a new one not have to re-install all of the data again. sorry still too new to this stuff to know where to get the answers easily.
That would be a "basic" volume. One volume per disk.

You could begin that by adding one of your 10TB drives to that NAS; creating a storage pool for that drive only, and selecting to use a "basic" volume. Then create at least one shared folder on that volume and copy all the files from the JBOD to the 10TB basic volume (if they won't fit, you could create a second basic volume with the second 10TB volume).

After coying all the files from the 6/4/3 JBOD, delete that volume. Then those disks can be installed as individual volumes if you like.

Be extremely careful when setting up the new volumes that you actually select "basic" as the volume type (look for words like "custom" and "flexibility"... otherwise, you could end up with an SHR volume (the default). Check the volume type in Storage Manager. If you inadvertently create an SHR volume, delete it before you add files to it and start over.

Acquaint yourself with the Knowledge Base

That would be a "basic" volume. One volume per disk.
You could begin that by adding one of your 10TB drives to that NAS; creating a storage pool for that drive only, and selecting to use a "basic" volume. Then create at least one shared folder on that volume and copy all the files from the JBOD to the 10TB basic volume (if they won't fit, you could create a second basic volume with the second 10TB volume).
After coying all the files from the 6/4/3 JBOD, delete that volume. Then those disks can be installed as individual volumes if you like.
Be extremely careful when setting up the new volumes that you actually select "basic" as the volume type (look for words like "custom" and "flexibility"... otherwise, you could end up with an SHR volume (the default). Check the volume type in Storage Manager. If you inadvertently create an SHR volume, delete it before you add files to it and start over.
Acquaint yourself with the Knowledge Base

KNEW I should have waited, but no, wife said just start over and reload it all, :mad: I had told her that you might come up with an idea or two, would have saved a lot of time and effort but what the wife says I gotta do!. oh well I'll know better for later.:rolleyes:
I have been reading the KB but since I am still unfamiliar with some of the terms it is difficult to know if what I am trying to do is right or not, and it has been a long while since school and getting things to make sense is a slow process. plus I don't do this on a regular basis so even when I have read something doesn't always get stuck in the memory box,
Thank you for all your help

Forgive the newboobie but I don't understand what you mean by posting a drawing,
post No. #2 in this is about a preparation of migration your existing data to a new model of data operation. I don’t like write a recommendation, when I miss more important point about As-is stage and expected To-be stage.
In your description I found few unclear information, e.g.:
1. you have DS1019+

2. this is 5-bays NAS

3. then follow your #1 post - you have NAS “with a 6tb,3tb,& a 2tb drive, the 6tb is a wd red nas.” Did you mean 3 or 4 disks in usage, then rest of the 2 bays in the nas are empty? Or there is a typewrite error?

5. then follow your #4 post - “I have a synology ds 1019+ with a 6tb,2tb,and 3 tb drive installed they are under Volume 1,storage 1 pool. JBOD.” Same question as is in my point No. 3. = how many used disks (what capacity for each of them) and empty bays do you have?

This is the point, why I asked from you clear picture of your current stage, by pencil drawing or by whatever looking like better reality description.
An Example:
Bay 1 - Disk 1 - disk capacity, e.g. 6TB
Bay 2 - Disk 2 - disk capacity
etc.
or use simple screenshot from Synology Storage manager - menu part HDD/SDD
Then - Used capacity, again screenshot from Synology Storage manager - menu part VOLUME
Then - screenshot from Disk group menu of Synology Storage manager

Hi everyone, I am hoping to re-open this post with a similar issue and to be finding a solution I could not find while googling the hell out of it. As @jeyare requested, I made drawing about my current setup and the issue I am hoping to solve:

- Running a two bay DS218j
- With a 6TB and a 2TB drive inside, configured as JBOD
- The drives are now 100% full
- Backing up external drives (2x 6TB WD RAIDs) via Drive Client and local Wifi router

I would like to swap out the smaller 2TB drive with a larger 8TB one.

I am now wondering how I might back up the contents of the 2TB drive and copy it back onto the new, larger drive without re-doing the backup via Wifi, which is in sane ly, excruciatingly slow. (No idea why that is, by the way. But that's a whole different question.)

I have an empty 8TB external USB drive available to me to help with this task.

Thank you very much for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 23.04.44.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 23.04.44.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 172
  • Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 23.02.43.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 23.02.43.png
    208.3 KB · Views: 174
Before you go further, if you're mostly using Synology Drive then it would be useful to know how much space it's taking for database/versioning. Open the Synology Drive Admin Console and look here.

1603230927938.png

This is on my newer build NAS that uses btrfs file system. An ext4 file system takes much more to keep track of files and changes.

On my migrated-from DS218+, using a ext4 file system, the exact same settings had grown the database to 400GB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.